Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Return of the Taco Spawn and HTFU KWalifier Callout

Yesterday's lack of blog HCF explosion helped prove the blog's extreme value as the participating members were uncoordinated, untimely, and in a general state of disarray. I was trying to launch a mutiny and roll up on my CX bike, XTeric was running late, then word on the street came in (albeit not through the blog) that the one and only Taco Spawn and the other one and only Unknown Local, were planning to ride. Alas my plan to mutiny and extra ride/cross ride up was derailed when B showed up at my house with his vehicle ready to drive me up the hill "for a change." I had the opportunity to experience the wobbling wheel or something which had kept both B and Bambi in the garage working on the "stupid car" for two nights, to no avail.

And upon our late-ish arrival at the Knott Lot we demonstrated to a ready to ride Taco Spawn just how unorganized we can be - on occasion - as we looked for lights, fumbled with low tires, and broken helmets. To our great pleasure the young spawn didn't bring a light, so he too seemed unprepared (although B didn't tell him we ride well into the night), and when we finally rolled out, for the first time ever, we rolled through the Knott RV camp and over to Spawns house to dig out a light for him and a helmet for UL. Alas we were off to ride and I durfed my route planning, ultimately for the better, because instead of riding up the Power Line we were able to ride down it and sweep XTeric on the qualifier. We headed back up the qualifier, all the while informing the spawn of all the growing pains he missed in his years absent from FT3. We dropped the chopping block, rode back up to Park Creek and down it to BarnesBack. After dropping that we rode back to the Knott around the lake counter clockwise. We arrived at the Knott Lot at 9:45 fearing for our tacos. Turns our Taco Spawn is a great equalizer. We were welcomed warmly into an empty Knott and served up tacos with fresh lettuce. Spawn received his tacos first. He threatened to go for the record, but I asked if his mom would let him, she didn't say no; but rather said "would your mom let you?" We all laughed, but XTeric laughed the hardest.

Turn out Taco Spawn is a hardcore MTB and cross racer, holding two crosser's, one SS and one geared, without cages. He will make a splash on the Sacramento Cross scene this year no doubt, in the 35+ A category, given his racing experience and results in the Utah area. Needless to say I am glad to have him back because there will be more than one FT3'er going to cross races this year. I am not happy that he will likely steal a position in front of me at every race.

And, when B and I crafted the crazy HTFU Callout for a time-crunched dawn patrol KWalifier this Saturday morning, he was all over it. This is how it is anticipated to go down:

Depart Pville for Strawberry Friday Eve around 8pm, maybe earlier
Camp at Strawberry KWalifier Start Finish Area
Sleep very few hours
Awake at 4:00am, have coffee and pre packaged food
Depart for KWood at 4:30am
Enjoy Sunrise on a mountain ridge
Have an early lunch at the K Wood Inn, which opens at 7:00am
Return to Strawberry by 1:00pm

Indeed we are planning to set a record time out there, so keep that in mind when signing on for this one.

The count holds at three presently: B, Spawn and I

Who's in?

____________________________________


14 comments:

  1. Wow a ride report before noon and no comments by 2:30. No love on the blog these days. What is happening with FT3 anyway. Is everyone out training?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I want to ride with the gang, my broken rib is hurting more than less, and certainly is holding me back. That, along with an open to close shift on Saturday will be keeping me off the bike. I might be able to do a relaxed ride on Sunday. My plan is to try and get back on the steed this coming Tuesday, so resting might be best. Would like to meet Taco Spawn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, I'm confused, will a shuttle take us to McDonalds?
    You aren't saying that we have to make our own breakfasts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Up thunder mountain, then down into Kirkwood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we get the McDonalds thing sorted out I'm totally IN, and may have a camp site drop off by the Mrs.

    Further, if we get a tad behind schedule and Cappy insists that we have to skip a Kirkwood lunch, I'm gonna go off the back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Out. Leaving for MN in the AM. Give my regards to the good folk at the KW Inn. That is, should you actually dine there, and not eat a stale PBJ as you haul @$$ back to the car.

    Buenos Suertes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I roll with the group meeting them at Thunder Mountain trailhead? What time do you think the group will be passing through there? I may just stage my car there and if you're lucky, I can fill it with food and it can serve as a rest stop. Or, I can get a head start up Thunder Mountain as I'm sure the group will catch me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the map B. Are there going to be riders heading out towards the summit of Thimble Peak too? I can't tell from the map.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK Bad news and good news, Bad news I am out - good news I believe I am the only one forcing the early departure so you just gained a bunch of flexibility. Sorry gents, duty calls...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the update cappy, perhaps you may make an appearance at unknown local's in the evening?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does the lack of a time constrained Cappy result in a little later start?

      Delete
    2. I need to be home by 5. How about a 6:30 start? No need to start pedaling in the dark.

      Delete
  12. Is there a FT3 bash at unknown's house that I'm unaware of?

    ReplyDelete