Monday, August 11, 2014

Minimal Impact Long Ride & Tuesday Callout

A few weeks ago Partial Credit and I began discussions on the potential for a minimalist overnight long ride that leaves Pville in the early evening hours of a friday evening and returns by noon on Saturday. Sorry for the late notice, but the two of us have just now synced our calendars and this ride is going down this Friday night 8/15, returning Saturday 8/16 by noon. This being a minimal impact ride, it will have minimal impact on our families, however, we should be able to maximize ride time.

Meet up is at 6:00pm on Friday evening, Mosquito lot, on Mountain bikes, with the following gear: lights, sleeping bag, jerky and other high calorie food supplies (think backpacking here... B got any MRE's?), whisky or other beverage, water and enough clothes to stay warm for the night. Where will we go? One option is to drive to Pollock and start a trek up the XP toward Strawberry, this route requires a ford of the river below Pacific House unless we opt to ride along 50 a bit and road ride up Ice house until we hit the XP. It would be a bummer if someones' gear ended up in the river. Another option is to head out South Fork Double Cross way (counter-clockwise) with a goal of getting to Stumpy Meadows before the lights die, (and if not, that is fine too, we just call it a night then...). I am not sure I can navigate this one at night without NoCar present, so to some extent route choice is dependent on riders present. I most certainly can navigate it in the clockwise direction so that is an option too. This route could be done on a Cross Bike or road bike with select tires, although I personally would prefer to ride a MTB carrying a fairly heavy pack and gear.

I don't believe either PC or I care much about the route, this is about the adventure of riding into the woods until we are good, crashing out with a whisky buzz, and riding back. If you are up for this, then sign on below by indicating your number followed by MILR (Minimal Impact Long Ride), since I am in, and PC is in, the count will begin at 3 MILR.

And, well... after all, it is also Tuesday so this serves as your callout, standard responses can be made for that one, since I am out, the count will begin at ONE, or ONE! or 1! or 1.

Ride on brothas

12 comments:

  1. One! No ride through the night for me, as I have a wedding to stand up in. Great idea though. How about driving up to sand flat campground, xp to strawberry, up to cody lake for a bivy and back to the car. Then you'd have a good water source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good idea, Newb. Water is life . . . and it's heavy, too!

      Delete
  2. Two!
    I am also out for MILR as I am leaving for the OBX early Saturday morning (anyone want to watch a dog?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the not-yet-handled new guy who doesn't like PBR will show up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did yesterday's storm hit Pollywood?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Five
    Anyone need a ride up from mosquito

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green Fro, I would 'pool with you but will be returning immediately after the ride. Of course, you could ride up with me in my truck and trust that someone else will transport you back to Mosquito post-taco . . .

      Delete
  6. Six! Because it's a school night, I'll likely be departing pre-taco (I'm a wimp and need sleep), so, I'll be driving up my lonesome self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw Councilman on Sunday and he sounded confident that he would be IN tonight. I wonder if he caught wind of Peter's Uno tournament tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly, Nocar, I too, just today, referred to that selfsame card game in a jesty electronic exchange. Seriously, what are the odds of that?

      Delete
  8. Sorry about your wheel, Noob. I know you'll lace it up like new, but it was a shame to miss the ride.

    ReplyDelete