Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What no Ride Report?

Since the bunch who rode last night couldn't get a ride report up between them, I will report on my uber commute which took place today, Wednesday. I had to spend the day in Sac for meetings so I decided to drive to Folsom and Saddle up on the road bike sans messenger bag for a delightful day of urban transpo meetings. The morning leg featured this unusual moist haze we are not accustom to hear in the hills, I hear they call it fog. There were a few other commuters out there, but not many. I wonder if they are not only flat land riders but also fair weather riders? The American River Bike trail is in excellent condition and actually makes for decent riding. One wet corner provided a sweet two wheeled slide. I had to hit up the surface streets from Sac State and made it to my first meeting in the nick of time. The ride home was better, I enjoyed an alternate surface street route which allowed me to survey the urban architecture which differs quite a bit from what we are used to seeing on our apple hill rides. Of course, I saw several fixie hipsters as well at that time. I even passed my place of birth, Sutter memorial Hospital. That was exciting, haven't been there for 37 years. Once back on the familiar bike path, there were a whole slew of roadie racers out 'training.' At least four or five of the popular teams were out in two-up (two riders) full kit groups including Sac CX Series 35+ A Masters Champ Jesse Scatton and another East Sac biker. Mad Cat, and Davis Bike Club also represented on the bike path. I even saw Paul out there. Seriously. It was definitely him. He was on a super sweet, white, Colnago, with matching white hoops and bar tape. He was in a full race kit, cycling cap, (no helmet) and was all shaved up cleanly. Of course when I 'caught' Paul, he naturally had to turn off to go ride with his faster and cooler friends. He obviously must have been looking for his turn off, and that is why I caught him. In the end, it was a 50 mile day, (which I'm sure Paul would scoff at), if I was the Photog B is, I would provide pictures, but alas, I am not (how did he get all those pics of himself?). I'm a decent scibe though.
Ride Like Paul,
Cappy

2 comments:

  1. Outstanding! From self-supported bikecycle/skiing in the Sierras to urban commuting, FT3 is everywhere.

    For my own part, the wife and I just celebrated our anniversary with a trip to the coast. We managed to work in 2 MTB rides over the long weekend. One was at Tamarancho in Fairfax, and the 2nd was at Annadel state
    Park. It was a cycleversary of sorts. Great trails, exceptional weather.

    Of course, rides were followed by proper nutrition and hydration, lest you think I've gone completely soft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear about rides going down. Did you display the FT3 colors for the flatlanders? And those trails that Councilman rode are unknown to me. What kind of terrain? How much mileage is out there?
    Our dear ride leader took us on a well-lit outing on tuesday. Every once in a while I knew where we were. Thanks to Nohandle for preBRs which extended into pretacoBRs.

    ReplyDelete