Monday, February 11, 2013

Never neglect your nappies!!




Whether on your top or bottom, it's rare that any serious cyclist would venture out without their trusty chamois. These marvels of padded perfection offer many benefits, the least of which is the prevention of chafing when long-riding. Historically, these chamois were the product of lambskin ('chamois' actually refers to the prepared skin of any goat-like animal), and were prized for their softness, absorption and wicking properties. Their modern cousins are typically synthetic in nature, with multi-panel construction, and more refined fit and performance. All this means one thing: your nethers are protected from the elements, including blundt force trauma resulting from sudden contact with the saddle. 

Which brings us to the moral of this particularly painful story. You see, yesterday I took my youngest for a training ride on the EDT. I live by, and strongly enforce, the helmet rule at home. For almost any ride more than a few miles in length, I will also don a pair of old bike shorts, as well as my cleated shoes. This would not be the case on that fateful day, and it would prove most unfortunate. 

Not long after we were rolling the section East of Walmart, I veered off trail to follow Jakob. My tennis-shoe clad feet slipped off the pedals just as I was making a crucial change of hand position on the bars. This unique set of circumstances led me to fall, not forward, straddling the top tube as is usually the case, but instead to drop from a standing position and land squarely on the top of my saddle. Once the stars cleared, and I reintroduced oxygen into my lungs, Jakob had come back to inquire as to my delay. Between gasps, I managed to utter something about needing a moment to gather myself. It would be some time before I could sit down again, and even longer before I recovered from the gut wrenching waves of nausea that followed. 

What does this mean to you? Nothing more than a reminder to properly suit up before EVERY ride. Whether 1 mile or 100 miles, you never know when tragedy will strike. It's somewhat comical to ponder, had I failed to have "the surgery" after Jake was born, this might have done the job, and at no cost. Oh well, at least I had a number of bags of frozen peas on hand :)

As for tomorrow night, the weather is, well, perplexing. While the academic folk are predicting cold, clear and a chance of light winds, it is, after all, FAT TUESDAY FAT TIRE TACO TUESDAY (FTFT3). This will no doubt bring a storm surge to the forecast. I plan to come prepared for all conditions, including donning my most festive nappy. Beads optional, padded protection mandatory! 

Un!



Night
31.png
32°
Low
Clear
Chance of Rain:
0%
Wind:
ENE at 3 mph
Humidity:
69%
UV Index:
0 - Low
Snowfall:
0 in
Sunset:
5:37 pm
Moonset:
8:41 pm
Moonphase:

Waxing Crescent
Clear skies. Low 32F. Winds light and variable

30 comments:

  1. trois

    Besides my nappies, I will be bringing my sleeping bag, in case of the need to hunker down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of adding some awesomeness to the post but I'll put the link here if anyone has lots of time to kill:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXjsUK3uAtc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quatre.

    Wow, this again. And so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that was a great story about your nuts, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. One of sorelegs' Spence's friends actually tore his scrotum open on a test ride in pajama shorts on a cross bike.

      "You were lucky."

      Delete
  6. Sorry about the "scrot" story, but I had to tell someone. My 3 year old didn't seem amused, nor concerned when I openly cried in disbelief. For that matter, my wife seemed only mildly concerned. Guess after you get leveled by a dirt bike and sent to the ER, bruised balls don't make the cut. Anyhoo, no pics, but I imagine they would scare the bejeezus out of our fairer admirers. Torn scrotum? OMG, that sounds bad. I will count myself "lucky". And it was my 29er, not the CX rig. I can honestly say I'm disappointed that it wasn't more compliant in dispersing the force, thereby decreasing the shock to my jock. Wonder if it would have been any less painful on Ti...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you really blasted your nuts.

      Delete
    2. C-Man - I think you've made a more acute case for the emerging trend toward a full squish rig.

      Perfect weather and traction last weekend could not pull riders away from FTSki or family obligations for rides at Forrest Hill or Salmon Falls.

      I'm happy to report that the new trail rig exceeded all expectations with no rear end or scrot irritation experienced after back to back rocky routes.

      Delete
    3. Don't tempt me further, you devil!!! I have pondered the finer points of dual-sus for some time. It isn't in the stars, cards, or budget right now, but it WILL happen. This would have made a great justification, though. Damn, hindsight...

      Delete
  7. Tonight's ride is going to be nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometime's you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great call out C-man! I can picture B scrambling during lunch to gather all the ingredients for tonight's hurricane concoction.

    I'm out tonight, up in Oregon on business trying increase Intel's market share in phones and tablets.

    Enjoy and be safe men.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in.
    It sounds nutty to be riding in Feb during a hurricane. Oh, btw, c-man. Amazing picture of the lake weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From soup to nuts, FT3 covers it all...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is it the seeds of change, the fruit of the loom or the nuts and bolts that holds FT3 together. Never mind, It is all such nutty business I can't stop myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deez Nuts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deez_Nuts

    ReplyDelete
  14. BTW, in official properness, that last post is trade marked by D.Z.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My fellow FT3 riders -

    I am sitting at work, laughing about nut crackers and such, while the unsettling realization that I will be sitting the next two rides out has resonated. With my car packed to the gills, bikes tuned, gear sorted and nutrition dialed, all that's left is to drive to Tucson and race this 24 hour event with FT3 vigor.

    And seeing as I'll have a nice 18-20 hours in a bike saddle, I'm sure my nuts will be hurting too! So no worries there C man, you won't be the only one sitting on frozen peas. You can track the carnage on line if you go to epic rides web page and look under 24 hour results. They stream the lap times and positions as the race is going.

    You guys have a nutty time out there!

    NEWB, over and OUT!

    ps. DZ Nuts makes a warming gel too. Let your imaginations run with that one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gives a new take on "Shvetty Balls"!! Best of luck, NewB! We'll be rooting for ya from the hills of Pollystan. I trust you will fly the team colors during your race (see flag on header above)??

      Delete
  16. Oh NO! Peter hoisted the hurricane warning flag!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is Larz riding? This would be the night to stop by Bourbon Street.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. pannolini all'ingrosso

    ReplyDelete