Monday, June 24, 2013

Cool Twenty Four

Noobie was hiding in his tent applying, mumbling incoherently, and slathering his ass with chamois butter when I arrived at Coolest 24 Camp FT3. He had already ridden over 60 miles and the sun was starting to broil his brain. To entertain the assembled onlookers he swallowed half a dozen pills, chugged a coke, and then wretched.




The task before me was no less daunting: to finish 24 cool PBRs. Without wasting any time I settled into a lawn chair and popped the first tab. Fortunately, Noob’s demands didn’t slow me from reaching my goal. I whooped when he rolled into camp and whooped when he left. I topped off a water bottle or two and greased his chain a couple times. It quickly became apparent that Mrs. Noob was not going to live up to her potential and help the PBRs disappear. In fact, at sundown, she gathered up all the bedding in camp and settled in for a good night’s sleep. I moved my lawn chair to the neighbor’s camp, but they weren’t much help either. Somewhere after 1am, I stumbled into my tent. I overheard Noob dismissing the assistant wrench and he napped as well. Maybe he wasn’t going to win, maybe I wouldn’t finish my PBRs, it was a dark hour.


I woke with a start at 4am. I saw that the Sokuri was gone, so I settled back into my chair and returned to the half-finished beer tucked amongst the star thistle. The moon shone like a spotlight over the quiet camp. Finally Noob returned. He had thrown down three hard laps to cement his lead. Now he just had to keep turning over his pedals for another seven hours. As the eastern sky began to glow, I found my resolve and finally finished another beer. By 8am Noob was ready to quit. However, Rock God and his young lover B showed up to add to the cheering section. What’s more Mrs. Noob had finally emerged from the tent, recalling a nightmare of naked buttocks looking like a bagel schmeared with cream cheese. Two hours to go, and it was time for a little tough love. When Noob begged to stop, I told him that he could either do another lap or help break down camp. Poor kid ended up doing both. But, he won.      

18 comments:

  1. Amazing and nuts NewB. Great job. I was exhausted imagining NoCars feat, to say nothing of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't done.
    Congratulations. I can't imagine what your body is going through now but I hope you are recovering well. I can't wait to crush you tomorrownight at FT3 but alas I will be out as I expect you might (?) be too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nocar thanks for keeping the fireside chat going and the great race sport. I apreciated the minute by minute updates from the reporter on the juice, I mean spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw thanks all. I will most likely be sitting the ride portion out tonight, more for dti points than anything else, but do plan on coming up for some tacos! If I can ride, I will let ya'll know. Thanks again for all the borrowed lumens and support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I still have RG's battery and LotB's light and battery. I will put them both on a charger now if you's guys are planning on riding tonight. Call me or email if you wanna meet up to get them back to you.
    And here's a lap break down.
    1-7, hauling the mail, stole first place after lap two and held it strong. No car shows up.
    8 was pretty crampy, hit a rock with a pedal and the hamstring knotted up. It took a lot of swearing to make it better. Finished lap 8 by 8pm.
    9 was also really crampy, and this was when I started to switch to solid food.
    10 was good, until it wasn't. Took a hard hit over some chunky terrain which made my wrists scream. This was my 1 hour nap time (although I couldn't sleep due to discomfort). This is also when I lost the lead. When I was laying in the tent, around 2am, I overheard some dad complement his high school son on his 10th lap, which made me frustrated that a high schooler was at the same lap count as me. So I got up, angry, changed my batteries and went like a bat outta hell.
    11 was fast. Pitted to do a quick mechanical (tighten chain), got right back out.
    12 and 13 were really fast. Whipped past the leader, reclaiming the lead.
    14 now everyone is getting up. B and RG show up.
    15 pancakes and eggs
    16 still in first, certain no one can get a lap on me, but trying to drive a point home.
    17 no car's camp break down or ride options are presented, I roll out.
    Victory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work NEWB! Crushed it, with authority. Very stoked for you... you are the man.

    I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the efforts of my long time friend Sully. He rolled out there with his approximately 6 year old son, without mom. Fired off a couple laps while he was entertained by the racers, and once he was able to put his boy to bed, rode 13 hours straight. He finished 2nd while pulling Daddy Duty. Solid effort indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keeping the count at zero, I have a big presentation in Tahoe this afternoon and will not get back until past ride start time. I may ride up or hitch with Newb for tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. NoHandle: I tried to chase you and Cap down two weeks ago when I still had on your fancy new wind breaker. I kept thinking we would be riding together, but since we haven't, do you need it soon? I can drop it by your house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RG: When are you going to deposit that check? Every time I look at the checking account I think its time to buy another bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deposited this weekend, Saturday. Who knows how long it takes the banks to post.

      Delete
  10. OUT - Wife is returning after week plus out of towner. Need to buffer DTI.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I posted the July 13-14th ride on the FT3 Calendar.

    I was looking for camp spots for the Downieville outing. They are mostly booked. How would folks feel about a weekend after Labor Day trip?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am out as well.
    Sorry B, looks like you are solo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, late breaking news but I am in. If I have to I will ride solo, I really need this one. It would be all that much sweeter if I had B to myself.

    TWO or ONE?? Has anyone contacted XTeric

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work Noob on the victory! I just logged on and noticed that the count is only at one. If only I were free tonight, I'd double the count.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't it summer? Where is Lars, training for his road ride?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow no word from X or B, holding down the fort alone tonight?

    ReplyDelete