Monday, February 17, 2014

There is no snow excuse




2/11/2014
Last Tuesday was the latest and greatest in the string of ideal riding conditions that has defined Pollywood this winter. Nice temps, big moon, gauzy clouds, and soil that held traction tighter than a zealot holds convictions.

Because of the small pack, we  couldn't finish the Pre-BRs by ride time. 
(Look in the backpack.)














Spawn was asked to RideLead and he took us out to the Hazel Creek area for a tour of abandoned canals and rarely visited ditches. 
Unknown Local organized some trail maintenance.
After the ride we munched tacos while watching the Olympics. The taco bitties were eager to hear our opinions of the figure skating costumes.  

2/16/2014
Last Sunday saw the running of an under the radar FT3 event. Long absent Green Fro wanted to introduce some of his lowlander road bike friends to the greater FT3 proving grounds. He extended the invitation to us locals as well. No surprise when five of the seven kits were FT3 (Fro, ever the gentleman, wore the colors of the away team). 

We assembled in Kelsey, rocked GreenFro's super techy driveway, which became Shoo Fly, to the glorious curves of 193 descending to Rock Creek Road. Having reached the ride's nadir, B and I stopped to remove a few layers. Somehow only Fro saw us standing on the side of the road. Cappy thought we were off the front and whipped into a pursuing frenzy. By the Rock Creek crossing he finally stopped for the chase group and we all had a laugh at his expense. 

When the front riders rolled past the turn onto 12N70, I called out the official FT3 wrong turn command "Some ting wong!" After an untold number of sweet miles later, we reached Wentworth Springs Road, followed it for a fast bit then turned onto Balderston road. Nearing our destination, the rolling hills induced ferocious attacks and counter attacks. From Balderston to Darling Ridge to Bear Creek to Traverse Creek to Spanish Flat and finally the last climb up Shoo Fly. Cartographers estimate 55 miles and 8000 feet.   

After a moment or two for relaxation, the main event for the day was announced; basketball. The traditional method of using free throw success to establish who got to play yielded B and Xteric vs. Cap and NoHandle. While Xteric is remembered for ditching tacos to go meet Keds to play B Ball; NoHanlde played in High School. Right away NH's dominance was apparent, he had moves, he could shoot, and he wasn't afraid to strut it. At about 8 to 3, the underdogs switched defense, forcing NH to face the unrelenting you-think-you-own-the-box-well-I'm-gonna-push-you-out-of-the-box defensive strategy of B. Possession changed and the score got close. The action was so intense I feared for a busted ankle, as B was playing in Crocs and NH was in his loafers. Victory was declared just as GFro served up three chickens and fixings.  

We massed around the supper table, relishing our meal and declared GFro's the best Long Ride ever produced. The feel good success was so great that Cappy claimed responsibility to host the next LRP in March.  



2/18/2014
The wintry mix goddess may appear. She has been long absent this year, don't miss the opportunity for an encounter. And before you excuse yourself as being too sore after playing disc golf, or badminton, or any other non-fat tire sporting activity, remember that this is the first Tuesday of the rest of your life.




33 comments:

  1. Don't know why the formatting got so F'ed. Hope everyone can read it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ride(s), bball report and call out c-Wing.
    I fixed the white background in your post. But nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There was no way I was going to take the time to figure that one out. And I hate the white background.

      Delete
    2. I don't know how it gets in there, but I simply opened the HTML viewer and removed the attribute "background-color: white" from the "div" tags where I found it. I should have made it pink

      Delete
  3. As I noted back channel, I dug a deep hole yesterday and my legs are screaming. Fro quickly pointed out maybe it was the BBall or the boxing out by the Tasmanian Defense Devil B. I'm seriously considering sitting this Tues out - weak. I know. Will follow things up tomorrow and see if I grow a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure this is just fodder for Spawn to ride up all the downhills - Lars, where are you when I need a good pace setting DRL.
    3 - in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No offense to Span, I just ain't as strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that the photo showing me changing layers in the background, having just been passed by Cap and Xt, both of whom are looking at B, was included. That was about a minute before Cap decided B and I were off the front.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am out tonight, my participation in the weekend LRP festivities have me earning back DTI points. Not too mention chasing down imaginary breakaways...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't start chasing down imaginary DTI points.

      Delete
    2. Well put c-wing! While we're on the topic, what does it mean when my wife says (this from a phone conversation of a moment ago), "Forget it, just go on your bike ride."? Consider my attendance tentative on this one. No Mosquito regardless.

      Delete
  8. The surprise on the face's of the basketball players in the first photo indicate to me that it may be a photo of one of the 3 shots I made during the post ride game (not including the first one which got me on the team). It is important to note that NoHandle, or should I say BALLHandle, did score the sum of the remaining points which was 8!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the super awesome RR and call out Chicken Wing! Glad there weren't any "Bing Dang Ows" on the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Safety, as you can clearly see, your spirit was invoked. We even pulled up your "Pidgin" post from last week to have a renewed laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my post was read and taken account for. I didn't really think you guys would use the "Sum Ting Wong!" Perhaps a post ride report / call out for a weekend ride would lure me back to the foothills one of these weekends. I've got to get back on my bike and spin those legs.

      Delete
  11. We have a good chance of adding Xteric and Spawn to our ranks. I'll guess that Newb is out. RG, Credit, and Councilman are disappointingly silent, which suggests that they haven't yet realized how awesome tonight's ride will be. Maybe Orphan will come back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Remember when C-Man used to hang out, comment on the blog, even post some great writing, and tried to change his handle. Was that the changing point?

    ReplyDelete
  13. And ye shall. 4 on the divinely conditioned floor!!! Ball handle, who knew this guy had 90's BB prowess as well. Awesome. I will join u at the less than race pace, wherever that may be

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad I awakened you from your slumber cMan. Even better that you are joining us (and me at the back).
    BTW, that was 80's BBall I was playing, back when Mtn Bikes still had Suntour and Road Bike Parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the days of Suntour, Modolo brakes, bio-pace chain rings... You know if I were around, I'd definitely be in tonight.

      Delete
  15. Blog goin' off this week! As noted above, I'm still TBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your comment above and would interpret that as a direct order to "go on your bike ride". It would be terrible to disobey that command.

      Delete
  16. As stated, I am in. Will drive up in case I need to jet home. No wing, I mean chicien car..... aw hell, do you need a valero pick up?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another funny element of Fro's Gtown cross ride was listening to B curse his derailleur as he ground his gears.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Any posting receiving 30+ comments counts as "blowing up" - nice work wingless car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Near as I can tell, HCFs (and their explosive potential) have almost nothing to do with posts.

      Delete
  19. Out tonight, gents. As stated in the title, there is no ample excuse. Therefore, I will offer none. Next time . . .

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is true, 8 pounds 9 ounce next gen is here kicking, stretching and doing push ups. Got the trainer set up in the recovery room so he can start getting some miles under his belt. I would like to call out ride of the minute to the new NewB, who patiently waited until I got home from FT3 before popping out into the world! Taco strong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would also like to add that everything is just fine witn the Misses. She went into labor at midnight, and by 2:16 am he was here. If that's any indication of speed, we all better watch out.

      Delete
  21. Congratulations Newb and welcome Malcolm!!!

    ReplyDelete