Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Incident

It’s boring, but since you asked…
Mrs. Chickenwing and I left the Cozmic a little before midnight. The music was still rocking upstairs and I forgot to pay my tab. Her bike was locked just outside, while mine was still at my office. We agreed that she would start home, and I would catch her somewhere along the way. Just as I turned off Jaquier at the EDT trailhead parking lot, I could see her light up at the top of the climb. Inspired by the thrill of the chase, I accelerated. Where the climb steepens, I looked down to see what gear I was in and WHAMO! drifted off the trail and into the ditch. My fingers instinctively went to my collarbone. Feeling the fracture beneath my skin the first thought in my head was “no baja kayak vacation”. Back on the bike, I grabbed the waist of my pants with the hand from the now useless arm and quickly caught Mrs., explained the scenario, and hurried home before the adrenaline wore out. Back at home I laid on the floor and had Mrs. stand on my shoulder while I tried to line up the two bone ends.


X-ray taken from 35 degrees below.

The same surgeon put another plate in last Tuesday night. Since then I have concentrated on healing, which mostly involves drooling on various pillows throughout the house. Thank you for the Jamaican Pain. That was an extremely thoughtful gift. You should have seen Mrs. Chickenwing go too deep the first night we opened it. I am especially looking forward to collecting all of the “hot and spicy kisses from everyone” promised in the card.


So, take heed to my cautionary tale (in case you missed the last cautionary tale) and sieze the opportunities to crash in soft forest duff when you can. This evening looks primed for a classic FT3. Lord knows, I hate to miss it.   

11 comments:

  1. Damn. Sorry to hear the bad news Mr chicken wing. Although I missed the card signing, I too will extend the same saucy promise, and wish you a speedy recovery. If ya need any help around the house, lemme know.

    Also, ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. c-wing, I'm quite bummed but am rather impressed w/the "stand on my shoulder while I tried to line up the two bone ends." comment - very HTFU.
    Two

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quick comment on the weather. If you've noticed, the promised rain has now held off for at least 12 hrs. It is almost as if the weather gods know it is Tues and are saving the big stuff for the FT3 event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the details of your travail, CW. It not only feeds our sadistic need but serves as warning to all. The lesson? Cross-chain if you must, but don't look down.

      If I do crash tonight, I'll hope for a soft landing.

      THREE

      Delete
    2. Oh yes; I'll be at Mosquito at 5:45 to facilitate any carpooling that wants to happen.

      Delete
  4. I am a maybe tonight, since I haven't seen a solid stool for three days, I am not sure it's in my best interest to ride. We'll see how lunch settles. Wishful thinking is in full effect, lights on the charger. If I do go, I will be at the Mosquito lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I missed you at Mosquito, but glad we got to ride together last night nonetheless. Good to get a last dose of dust as we celebrated the wet season . . .

      Delete
  5. On fence, big work day tomorrow and more prep to be done. If I go it will be a solo drive up and early departure back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear this CW, let me know if u need anything. I'll be back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So . . . Who's on Ride Report duty this week? Be a shame to see another Tuesday go by undocumented.

    ReplyDelete