Tuesday, August 18, 2015

TS 100: A Few Miles Short, but Long on Adventure







The adventure started in Placerville. B and I had to decide between three bad cars. First we packed Charlie's car, but we hadn't even made it to 49 when the ominous knocking turned us around. In quick order, B's Camry was packed and we embarked again. Climbing the grade into Soda Springs, the Camry kicked the transmission out of gear. The engine whined and gears ground as B tried to jam it into place. Losing velocity amid a roar of truck traffic, B found a gear and kept us on the Interstate. With a huge sigh we parked the car in the lot at The Summit and proceeded to race registration.

Camp FT3

Cappy got out of bed (I doubt he slept that night) around 3ish. He drove to Xtieric's house but no one was up. He managed to rouse Mrs. Xteric who, with some effort, woke her husband.

Moments before the start, all four riders finished their final preparations and convened at the line.

It was fun for 65 miles. Then it was hot, and the route accumulated the bulk of its 13,400' of climbing.


Rolling Rock


We finished in close succession: B, nocar, Xteric, Cappy. Jimmyboy had a keg of strong IPA at the finish line. Made me puke. 



Additional detail from Cappy:

It is notable that there was considerable discussion about the approach in which we would 'take on' the TS100. Family style, like tacos? To each his own? Since my tendency in a race is to race, I had to opt for the, "if I am in the hunt I will be hunting approach." 

So here is the breakdown from my perspective: I went hunting in the beginning then I flatted at the bottom of the first decent. It took forever to remove the Stan's tubless valve that I have now learned is not compatible with my new DT Swiss wheel. 

Once I got the tube in, I gave chase, hoping like heck to catch my friends (at this point I wished we were riding family style). Just after the first aid station I caught the strongman, B. He and I rode together for a while, then at the dusty 'dusty corners' climb, B rode away from me. He caught the other two at the Robinson Flat Aid station, where he chugged a beer. I pulled in there moments after they departed, fueled up quickly then headed into some sweet singletrack. This came after a considerable fireroad climb at mile 51, so it was refreshing to say the least. I managed to catch and pass Sully first, then XTeric. XTeric and I rode together along French Meadows until I flatted again. I encouraged XTeric to roll on, and that would be the last I would see of my taco loving friends. 

Alas, just as I finished installing the rear wheel with a fresh tube, Sully rolls up. So he and I rolled out together into the 7-10 mile non stop climb that took it's toll. There was another short decent then another considerable 3 mile or so climb before the finish. Sully and I both suffered immensely before finally reaching the paved section of Soda Springs Road and crossing the line together. Fortunately, we did not get 'trained.' XTeric did. He and two others sat impatiently while the moments ticked by slowly and the longest train he had ever seen rolled on by. Too bad he didn't have a beer to HoBo it out while he waited. Apparently, the three riders held their pre-train placing when they crossed the line. 

B was the first FT3er to finish, followed by NoCar, XTeric and I. I am confident B took the SS win, I only saw 3 SS'ers out there. Sully was one of them, and I believe he took the #2 spot. 





18 comments:

  1. Great Job FT3 Hard Men! Good to see everyone in our new kits, ooks like we need to add an official sock though.... Looking forward to hearing more details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome gents. What time did you roll in and what was the lowest elevation - heat must have sucked.
    Of note for tonight: Tomorrow is Prepper's BDay, he will be 22 and Thurs is RG's bday, he will be 29.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going with the 29, throwing away those AARP snail mailers before they hit in the in box.

      Delete
  3. Trying to finalize my evening availability - more later. Is the count at 1 or 3 right now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added some info to the post.

    I am out tonight, will be meet a physician who is purchasing my cross bike. About to take the Major Jake on it's last lunch ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Cappy, Cappy. Did I hear you set up new wheels just before the race? Say it isn't so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the same mistake before Downieville, two days is not enough setup time; plus I ran too low pressure. The Pauly Creek Trail was like 3 miles of Rock Garden.

      Delete
    2. Due to some shipping delays by the wheel seller, yes. I needed a new tire anyway, it had a sidewall tear, and my previous wheel was prone to spoke breaking. I determined it was worth the risk. Indeed I know better but the circumstances didn't allow for any other options.

      Delete
    3. And yes, Newb told me so... "Don't change nothin" said he...

      Delete
  6. Admittedly, I didn't even try to roll Family Style, in spite of my earlier claims. As the race started, it dawned on me that I had to get through as many miles as I could while it was still cool. I knew that once it heated up, my pace would slow to a crawl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job fellas. Wish I could have knocked it out with the crew! Good job B for chugging, nice work NoCar with the pukeing, awesome all mountain Xteric with the guards and I told you so Cappy (but nice work finishing her up - I know how much those flats suck out there)

    Out tonight, in Carlsbad boogie boarding and crushing the 101 hwy on a beach cruiser. See you next Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got some sort of respiratory issue going on, so I am OUT for tonight. Though I may do a slow roll up to the taco table.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Out. I'm allergic to dust, another strain of Peteritis. Plus, testing out the new road rig, may head up to the Knott Lot for a send off depending on how the legs and bike feels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does the new bike come with an air conditioner?

    ReplyDelete