Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Man, er um Bike Down


It is that odd time of the year when spring and winter are in an all out war with each other and the winner is yet to be determined. We all know, and time will tell, that spring will once again prevail and days will continue to get longer and warmer. The interim time is the battle ground of seasonal change. I will hold back from entering the debate on climate change, but will happily share the slushy details of the mudfest that was FT3 last night!

Rock God, Ghostrider, In-Law, No Handle, B and I all arrived at the Knot Hole to some remaining snow and very pleasant temps. We headed out towards Road Kill and quickly realized that this was not yet a spring day and the fast melting snow left a lot of standing water around! Muddy and wet before we hit Road Kill had all of us wondering how long the ride would be. The drop down to Back Door was great! There was some nice carnage on the crux between Back Door and Road Kill, all I saw was Rock God climbing back up onto the trail ala Jan Ullrich in the 2002? tour. The remainder of Back Door was great as was the first section of Fleming. The mud was starting to pile up and the patches of snow kept getting bigger as we were climbing. I experience some cleat issues with the new shoes and kept the streak alive by crashing going uphill, actually crashing while trying to get my shoe in the pedal. The crash was actually a first as well, I went down into a snow drift and made a mud angle. We powered on into deeper snow and mud.

The final fire road climb out of Fleming produced the first catastrophic failure of FT3! After arriving at work at 6 and then screaming for Tahoe at 1, Barrett arrived for at least the third event of the day with the cross bike in hand. As always Barrett road hard and pushed the CX set up to the limit. Actually a bit beyond the limit. We got a yelp followed by a bike toting muddy rider and no more rear derailleur. It seems the muddy mess and the power legs were just to much and pop! off it went...he may have shifted into his spokes...but all we really care about are the macro details. In true FT3 style, as we sat around wondering what to do, Rock God produced a tow strap! The first tow!!! Of course we gave the honor to Justin ( on a single speed) and we all headed for tacos. Never leave a man behind!

The Knot Hole noticed the mud on the faces and produced a variety of taco shell consistencies to keep us on our toes. Items of discussion got tabled for a later date and the conversation quickly reached the gutter, as it usually does. Note to all riders: The wonderful folks at the Knot Hole are giving us first shot at the next hot sauce order. Apparently "the book" will be available to us next week to mark our selections!

Dates to Remember:
3/29 Road Ride meet @ 7:30 Starbucks on Main St. (2nd attempt at snow ride?)
3/31 FT3
4/7 SSFT3
4/8 PC Race #1 ?????

11 comments:

  1. How do I get my posts to say Bambi instead of my email?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bambi, go to your profile and edit your "Public Name".

    Hey Author, what the heck did you remove from B. What sort of autocrat are you.

    NTH

    ReplyDelete
  3. He removed it, I would do nothing of the sort! He also removed his derailleur hanger, also nothing that I would do myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt was too busy making snow angels to break any bike parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work guys, sounds like I missed another Epic...dare I say Epic? Loving the photo journal too. Things are not looking good for me on the weekend front, I need to be back by 8:30a Sunday. Saturday is out or a really short ride too so I am looking for a good MTB night ride Friday if anyone is game, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Banbi, did you keep a copy of that letter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I still have it. I may have to forward it to myself as well. I may have to work on Sunday again. I am trying to get out of it but not sure yet. I may have to take you up on the Friday ride Cap'n.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Het Matt, The first prarie city race is actually 4/1/09.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ghost Rider and I were bouncing some ideas about a late week MTB night ride. Maybe we can put something together...Back up the hill? Cronan? Salmon Falls?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am definitely doing a Friday night ride. I will be coming back from Sac around 5:00pm, so I can do Salmon Falls between 5 and 5:30 if that works for others. Otherwise I would say let's meet at cronin at 5:30. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great ride from the hardy FT3 crew. I'll be sure to get that tow strap tucked back in the MULE, it proved worth it's weight and space after toting around for 3+ years. I got the taco handle entered, it was a system error on Google's end. :-)

    I'm in for Sunday but doubtful for anything other than a short road outing between now and then, see you then.

    ReplyDelete