Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Ride Tonight & Cool MTB Race Report



Any takers? Should be mighty fine conditions, again.


One!


Cool Mountain Bike Race Report


A circumstantial run in with Rock God at the Spoke on Friday was awarded with the mighty fine gift of some under-used Maxxis Cross Mark tires. I was unable to grab them on friday night due to a bathroom sink that would not drain, and instead of prepping my bike, I attempted to snake the sink. In doing so, I broke my own personal and necessary rule that is as follows "Never work on your bike the day before a race." On Saturday, I did just that, setting up the Cross Mark tires tubeless. A shakedown cruise with the children demonstrated to me that the tires were set up well and that my legs were ridiculously sore from spending hours cramped under my sink Friday night. My efforts to snake the drain were fruitless, rather they made the clog worse, and my legs sore. So life goes on and I had a race to do.

The next morning, I found myself lined up with the pro/expert group, who were all starting together. This year I decided to race "expert" with a personal challenge of racing in the "geared class" with one gear. The race started with a quick pace, everyone was shifting around me, I was hanging at the tail end of the first group that formed up until the end of lap 1. At that point, after several creek crossings, my rear tire started going flat. I nursed it for a while then had to run/walk for a while until some nice SS racer guy loaned me his pump (I was so stupid in departure, I forgot to grab my quick fill out of the seat pack on my road bike before I left home).

I made it to the start-finish, grabbed a floor pump, put a tube in and went on my way. I never really considered dropping out with any seriousness, although the option was ever-present, and I knew I had no chance of placing- so the goal was to finish with dignity. On the third lap I had a chat with another rider as I passed him. While we were hanging out waiting for the raffle, to my surprise, I saw the guy I chatted with (and passed) on the third lap get called up as a second place finisher. Surprise, surprise, I won my class!! Not a personal record but the first time I have completed three consecutive race-pace laps out there on a single speed (this is not so easy... insert mad respect for Newb here). I am not sure if a bunch of people dropped out or if we were the only ones in our class, looking forward to seeing the results. I got a bottle of wine and a beer glass out of the deal, so I’ll take it... When I got home I was greeted by my X-Navy plumber friend (some will recall the crazy reunion meet up at NoCar's house) was there with his hi torque plumbing tools, and with tired legs I provided the assist that got the drain flowing like a river. Not a bad day all together.


"I don't always when.... but when I do it's on a single speed in the geared class... and I get a flat tire first."


Gen 2 Report: Cap'n junior was able to take home the second spot on the podium in the 3.5 mile kids MTB race. He was able to pick off a few fumbling riders and secure his #2 spot with a safe distance of any podium contenders.


Solvang Report?




7 comments:

  1. Great call out NewB. At least you took charge.
    I'm suffering from beat up legs from a big ride in Solvang on Sat but I'm still in for tonight.
    2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great condition indeed and this makes 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the reddish gray hair on my chinny chin chin, I offer thee a hearty and hasty b@ll$ in!!!!!

    Keeping the dream alive at 5

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out - sick. But I'm hoping to get out later in the week. There is some light now after work, so a good time for trail clearing and scouting. Anybody in for that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work to the Barton Crew. Way to rep FT3!!!

    ReplyDelete