Wednesday, May 6, 2009

And Like a Good Neighbor...

Call the insurance companies, we suffered our first FT3 collision last night. Actually I might need to contact a lawyer as I feel B's attempt to run me over was with malice! I still have the tread marks on my leg for evidence. Those 29ers are mean spirited I say! Or maybe that is just my lesson for not being able to clear an obstacle cleanly?

Ghostrider, B, and I headed out for the last ride of year one in the early life of FT3. It was a pure S2FT3 outing! Ghost and B swapped bikes and the Mt. Tek continued to roll along with no issues. It took me a little to get the legs working again, but in the end, the ride was exactly what I needed. We started with a loop of Fleming and found some excellent trail conditions mixed with some soft squishy areas that you really had to watch out for as they were nasty. Near the end of the Fleming loop it was clear that ride #51 was not going to feel right without a little more distance. So we included the regular lake loop to make the ride a classic "Lake/Fleming Figure 8". Legs were toast by the end, but the ride was great. We passed our first campers of the season sitting by a camp fire. They were pretty stoked to see lights come charging through the woods. And with that we rounded off the first year of FT3 outings. Clear your calendars now for next week and the beginning of year 2!!!!

Tacos were consumed outside with In-Law joining for some carb replenishing. The night was mellow on all fronts. The new Boa Vista sauces were a good treat. We were a tired crew by the end of the night, but a crew happy to have gotten the ride in.

Mud:
I have received some statements of HTFU regarding the muddy conditions of last weekend. I am curious if everyone really understands the extent of the mud at the 24 hour race. Therefore, I will submit one more pic as evidence that mud was indeed a factor to be overcome. I guess we could have hardened five more minutes up and beaten Victory Velo, looks like we have a goal for next year.

Upcoming rides:
Friday/Saturday: Ghostrider and his wife are moving and the FT3 crew is there to help.
Sunday: Road Ride! I am going really early as my mom is visiting this weekend and the green light on riding is not shinning very bright.
June 21: Ironman CDA (Can't believe its the next thing on the calendar!)
Oct 4: 100/40 Sly Park Race...we are the home team!

Until we ride again,
LOtB

3 comments:

  1. Lars - I've just thought of a new invention you inspired. It's a combo, MTB brake/tip-over light that illuminates red or yellow depending on nature of stoppage cause. ;-)

    Sorry I missed the lean and mean SSFT3 outing. I got a couple of flat days in down near work, it did the legs good. I'm in next week for sure, an extra beer will be in order as school will be out!

    What time Sunday morning? How many miles?

    Ghost - I'm booked solid Friday/Saturday with school / work. I'll stop by when you get settled. Welcome to the hood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sly Park 40/100 Moves Date and Location
    The Sly Park 100 is now the Knickerbocker 40 Mile and 8 Hour. The race date is October 10th and will be held in Cool, CA.

    So why the venue change, huh? Well after 4 months of talks with the El Dorado Forest Service it seems an agreement cannot be made regarding such issues as bald eagles, western pond turtles and mtb trail erosion impact in the Flemming Meadows area. There are arguments on both sides regarding these issues and the validity of them but the point is that an agreement could not be met. A lot of effort was put into meeting the forest services needs and trying to come to a solution but alas it just does not seem to be in the cards for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thus may end this politician's campaign to develop some additional singletrack east of the Meadows. Much hard work and deliberation went into the designation of FM as a multi-use trail, inclusive of bicycles. Drew (policy wonk at IMBA) encouraged the formation of a club (volunteer labor pool), recon work in mapping routes, and then formal presentation to the FS. Sounds like the latter would fall on deaf ears. Back to the drawing board...

    ReplyDelete