Friday, May 22, 2009

We are doing a lot more than riding bikes!


I feel somewhat compelled to get something up regarding the passing of Steve Larsen. There seems to be a good deal of emailing and shock over this event. Some of use were more familiar with the accomplishments and accolades of Steve. However, as a group of amateur athletes, fathers, workers, and cyclist, we can all appreciate Steve Larsen's legacy to sport and family.

Both Cap'n and NoHandle have put out emails remembering watching Steve blow the competition out of the water at national level Mt. Bike races. Rock God remembered watching Steve rise through the amateur road ranks before being picked by Motorola along with a young Lance Armstrong. He wins praise from me, for accomplishing all that he did, and yet being remembered as a great father and still posting sub 9:20:00 Ironman results...with FIVE kids...holy cow! As Cap'n pointed out the latest VeloNews posting is linking his death to either a virus or allergic reaction taking place while he was participating in a track workout.

Every Tuesday I know I am doing what I love with all the right people. We are indeed staying healthy in mind, body, and spirit. The passing of Steve Larsen has reminded me how precious each moment really is. I am happy to be spending some quality pedaling hours with the FT3 crew, maybe Steve will join us in spirit on a few up coming rides!

Until we ride again,
LOtB

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for putting up the tribute Lars, nice work. Just for all to know, I was most proud of him the year 2000 when he DID NOT get selected for the US MTB Olympic team and proceeded to win EVERY SINGLE National that year, literally CRUSHING all comers. It was such a punk rock display of rebellion, I loved it. He rode for Schwinn then, on a classic Colorado USA built Homegrown frame. I also remember the classic commercial (for what I don't know) that ran during the late 90's Tour's de France, it was him mowing the lawn in cycling gear. I even did that once or twice. I may do it a few more times in his honor.

    ReplyDelete