Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Annual EDT Trek Ride









So last week I made the callout for FT3ers to join me on the now annual El Dorado Trail Trek ride (EDT Trek Ride). Two takers signed on - one of them wisely foregoing a potential golf trip for this trek instead. I departed Granite Bay en route to the EDT around 4:45pm whilst Councilman departed Main Street Pville for the EDT just slightly earlier. Xteric had a planned departure time of 5:45pm. Councilman was headed west on improved trail while I took down some of the local Granite Bay mountain bike trails along Folsom Lake (they are actually somewhat fun). A pit stop at Folsom Bike for a free Ice Mocha and rock star treatment delayed me a bit, but alas - I was fully caffinated and ready for the adventure.

When I jumped on the tracks south of White Rock Road, I took the above photo and texted C-man who indicated that he had just departed Latrobe and was headed in my direction. We met a bit before Latrobe and backtracked for some quality track riding and to visit a really cool bridge and water crossing of what I think may be Deer Creek. I will try to add more photos to this post later. The trail section adjacent to Latrobe Road in the area where the tracks parallel the roadway is worth riding. Fun, fast and bumpy with a lot of rollers. From Latrobe up to and through a couple crossings of South Shingle we enjoyed some quality track riding, and the smell of dead animals where we met Xteric. Track riding has a special place in the hearts of FT3, it is akin to riding the slash and sticks of the wedding march in its current state. It was just about time to turn the lights on when our group became three. At this time the trail adjacent to the tracks kept getting better and better, and Xteric, fresh off his Podium Xterra finish and atop a new steed began charging and setting a mighty pace.

Around 9:00pm we arrived at the Shingle Springs market at Mother Lode Drive/Pondorosa. We hauled Beer Nuts Cashews, Jerkey and Big Boy PBRs out of there and went to do some ho-bo'n along the tracks. Once fueled up for the last section we made our way on somewhat familiar trails into Pville. After crossing Missouri Flat Road and nearly being able to taste the victory of our completed ride, Councilman was nursing a slow leak and Xteric and I, deciding to keep it real, took down some dirt along the improved trail just beyond the Weber Creek bridge where both of us, seemingly on the same object - flatted our rear tires. Stans sealent poured like a Pre-BR on the first tuesday of the month. Xteric put in a tube and I went to work on making my Stan's do its job. C-man had put a solid gap on us and Xteric and I hedged our bets on whether or not he departed for home - it was now 11:00pm. Like any good Councilman, he was at Forni Road awaiting our arrival. There were cheers and we raced on low tires toward Main Street and Xteric b-lined it for his house which was his original starting point. A fun time was had by all. Those who enjoyed the westbound trip indicated it was a merry and joyous time. And, I who only had a eastbound trip too indicated it was a merry and joyous time. FT3 local long ride - C-man had about 56 miles, I had about 52, Xterric about 45. Let's do this again!

Happy Tuesday & SSFT3. I am out tonight! Have fun!

0

6 comments:

  1. You must have some back channel knowledge for jumping the tracks B. Great write up councilman and captain. I too am out tonight but look forward to next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice ride and report Cappy. Particularly enjoyed the leaking tire metaphor.

    I'm the TWO for those of you who missed the pre-callout discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent write up! I would only add or extend the leaking tire metaphor to include my Tall boy. En route to the HoBo spot, I dropped my can and watched it spray out like, well, Stans out of a sliced tire. I recovered it in time to enjoy the remaining liquid in shotgun fashion. Rarely would I consider PBR a nectar, but on that night I savored every foamy drop from my punctured can! Looking forward to starting next year's trek from Camino, thus enabling a complete tour and inspection of the EDT down to the Co line.

    Out tonight as I prep for a week of academic shenanigans. See y'all in 2 Tuesdays. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still racing the prairie city series (overall second in my class) and wee have company in town so I will not be present tonight. One more race in the series next week then as many miles as I can grab before my daughter is born! Have a great ride. Squish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I missed the Ho Bo'n too, that whole event sounded great.
    I'm in. 3, SSFT3 style.
    I may have to duck out of taco-time early.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I added some photos for those of you who are looking for a ride report today.

    ReplyDelete