Tuesday, January 26, 2010

FT3 Charitable Fund

A few months ago we all pitched in together, on of all things, a running event, to raise some money for some local folks in need. It seems that this need to offer help and support is a never ending event. I am the first to admit that it often feels funny to climb aboard a ridiculously priced bicycle for the sole purpose of idle recreational outings. However, when I look back on some of those rides, I wonder whether the "soul" purpose may be a bit different. We are indeed a blessed group of people and are also a group that understands that if I am full of the good stuff in life, I can help fill others. With thanks to Cap'n for forwarding this on to me, I am suggesting a rather drastic departure from the FT3 plan in an attempt to turn those idle rides into something with some poignancy. This is late notice and will require some DTI adjusting, but it is worth it and the cause is just.

http://www.bicyclingevents.com/FolsomRodeoCross/WeekDay.htm


The Folsom Rodeo Cross is holding the last CX Wednesday Night Race of the year tomorrow night. All proceeds from this race will be donated to the relief efforts in Haiti. Unless you are living under a rock, you are well aware of the dire situation that many humans are enduring in Haiti. We in California are all too familiar with the destruction possible when the ground shakes. However, we are used to this under the guise of some of the best infrastructure in the world. Not so the case elsewhere. The human suffering is great. If we can use one of our simple weekly rides to offer some help, maybe the other rides we do might have a bit more meaning. I am not a doctor, nor a billionaire, my options of giving are small. This race, this event, this cause...this I CAN DO. We have often said that we are doing a lot more than riding bikes, here is a chance to let our actions speak as loud as our words.

The Barnes family will all be attending, it might be a late night for the kids, but they are aware enough of what is going on in the world to understand the essence of HELP. Hope to see some of you racing on Wed as well.

Therefore, I am out tonight and will be racing tomorrow night!

Unitl we Ride,
LOtB

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, I really must of bungled this one up...no comments, no criticism, no nothing...Oh well, looks like I might be racing alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good callout Larz. I just think most folks are spent on Cross and a mud fest looks to be in order as well. However, it is touching to witness your sensitivity on both angles of this post. ;-0

    That said, I'm out tonight and Wednesday due to business travel. I have added on to Debbie's HS Class piggy bank Haiti donation fund; I think they are over $200 to date.

    Have a good race.

    What do you know I travel to rainy Oregon the only two sunny days this week. P3 out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was planning on riding tonight, maybe my FT3 will be pedaling the mtn bike over to Powells for fish tacos.

    ReplyDelete