Sunday, January 17, 2010

Next Chapter: The Power of Self Talk

Unfortunately, Saturday marked the last installment of the the Sacramento CX series. Driving home last night, I had a hard time coming to terms with the fact that this series is over the year. What began several months ago in temps over 100 and ended yesterday in mild winter conditions has provided inspiration and competition for several months. It is worth noting that while Bambi, NoHandle, Cap'n and I were enjoying a post race beer conversation quickly turned to the 24hr race and Mt. Bike season. However, in the end, I will miss Cross season and am already looking forward to next year.

Race Report:
I elected to park outside of the park and ride in, by weeks end I needed a spin to get the legs started again. Upon reaching the parking lot, I quickly met up with the rest of the FT3 crew, all getting ready for the 35+ B's. Cap'n had a game face on, Rick was off doing some secret pre-race regiment, NoHandle, Bambi, and Green Fro were making final gear and clothing selections. It was clear the group was preparing to throw down! We were disappointed that Councilman appeared to not be making it to this race...

I got out on the course and quickly found it to be fast with technical sand portions liberally sprinkled throughout. Unlike lots of other courses, this course even had a few hills allowing for some good power attacks. There were two key sections that seemed to like they would be telling. There was a big sweeping right hander right after the start line and then a technical off camber sandy area leading into the last barriers and the home stretch. The good news for me was that I would get the opportunity to watch the 35+ race go through first.

The guys got lined up and it was game on for the Masters race. At the gun Rock clearly looked to be on his game. And then right in the middle of the group some yahoo decides to switch lines. I kid you not, there proudly wearing a Auburn Bikes Work jersey, our own Cap'n saw his window closing and did a cross peleton move, worthy of anything you see in France during the month of July, to reestablish himself on the opposite side of the group. Spot on mate! He even got a, "what is that guy doing?" from the woman standing next to me. All for not as it was total carnage as the boys got funnelled into the first sandy turn, with line big enough for two or three rides, thirty plus was going to make it interesting. One rider attempting to dismount knocked over another rider, which stopped all momentum and created a hard mans corner to bull and barrel your way through. Rock got through cleanly and Bambi and NoHandle found fast lines as well. Cap'n decided to take is frustrations out on the course markers. Although he won the fight with the tape, he did lose some spots and was left chasing. By the second crux Rock had already established his position up front, Bambi was showing some form, NoHandle was performing in mid 90's style and Cap'n had a look of determination in the eye. As the laps piled up Cap'n found his rightful spot upfront in a Yo-yo battle with Joe....Miller as Rick, looks like your racing A's from now on, Kile dominated up front. Bambi faded from his initial power burst, allowing NoHandle a little breathing room to focus on the podium. In the end, RG won his race and Cap'n, NoHandle, and Bambi went 2,3,5 respectively in the 35+, with Green Fro a little ways back.

Right before I toed the line in the B's race who should roll up next to me, after already being dismissed as a no show, non other than the politician himself Councilman! I felt prepared to race and was slightly sorry to see no women showing up for the day's throw down. At the whistle it occurred to me that I may not be as fast as a "12 year old on a fixie" but I should be able to out think those younger bucks. I took the inside corner on the first tight turn and was able to run past lots of folks in front of me. At the critical selection I had to say to myself, "Ok Matt, there is no next week!" The self talk worked and I was able to hold contact the a frontish group. Councilman and I were able to share words of encouragement on out and back sections and the folks from the previous race made for a great cheering section. Put it all together and took 5th on the day! Too bad, this may have been my day to beat my rival...if only she had shown!I have been working on this post for way to long, so it is going up!

2 comments:

  1. I don't want to see it end either, that could be becuase I have only done two races though.

    There are three races left on the NorCal Callendar though.

    Jan 24th, Watsonville
    Jan 30th, Folsom (Rodeo Cross)
    Feb 13th, Santa Rosa.

    I am interested in Folsom and Santa Rosa. Any takers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great race report LoTB. Cool picture of the crew too.

    This was the most successful and most memorable chapter to date in my bike racing career. I say chapter, because it had only been a page or two linked together in the past.

    Thanks FT3 for raising the bar and providing supportive yet competitive environment. This is the best group of guys I've ever ridden two wheels with, motors included.

    No doubt about it, the FT3 crew from Placerville made a mark on that series and schooled a few flat landers in the process.

    Time to switch gears to road racing, although I think a few cross bike marathon scouts are still in order this winter.

    Keep the rubber side down.

    ReplyDelete