Monday, April 27, 2009

"He's Going the Distance, He's Going for Speed!"

Call out for ride #50

We are now 4.5 days out from the 24 hour race, and you best believe I am digging out the game face! Body's getting some good well deserved rest, and we all are ready to roll! I don't even see why I am going to work this week, clearly the priority is the bike...

Race info:
We need lights. Clearly we have all been running all winter long with good set-ups, but just to be safe, if we could borrow a few additional lights that would be great.

The racing starts at noon on Saturday running to noon Sunday. All visitors are welcome and encouraged. The FT3/Velo LoCo camp should be easy to find and we will have last years banner up again. Curtis/Green/'fro had threatened a late night visit but it looks like the wife unit has to be out of town. The late night visits are awesome, if anyone is willing to pull this off it would be most appreciated. We have elected to run single lap rotations this year. I am putting out there: We are going for the most laps of any group or individual. The time has come to Man Up Hard As Hell and Throw Down!

Late breaking news: Rumor has it that In-Law is running on a two man 24 hr team? Is there truth in this? Way to man up!

Ghost Rider will be leading our pit crew: Many many many thanks for this contribution of time! A clean bike is a fast bike - That's the pit mantra, learn it and love it!

Ride Reports:
There was some good riding taking place over the weekend. After I got over the Peter Pissy Pants episode of Friday (stress is a terrible beast) and after successfully getting another Prom on the books, Sunday's roll out was totally necessary. Cap'n, NoHandel, Ghost Rider and I all took off a bit late for a cool spring outing. The four of us clicked off a standard Apple Hill loop. I am getting pretty comfy with the aerobars and was able to hammer a bit on the flats and downhill. Cap'n joined Ghost Rider and me up to Lions Park, and then Ghost and I took off for some more riding. Cruising down Lotus road I hit something on the road, neither Ghost Rider nor I saw what it was, but it must have been sharp. The object cut my tire in half and put a nick in the rim, bummer! Calls had to go out to the home fronts to get a ride back. There is most certain feeling of defeat getting a lift back from mid ride. I think all is well and the wheel just has a slight blemish, kind of like a supermodel with a zit!

Race Report:
That's right we have a race report from last weekend. Although it was with a Bicycle Planet kit on Curtis/Green/'fro fired off for the Wente Vineyards Road Race in Livermore over the weekend. I believe it was his first official road race. He tucked himself in to the Cat 5 group and went out to see what it was all about. After navigating his way through the first crash he stayed near the front all day and finished 10th about a minute back from the first group. Reports were of a windy course that required you to stay up front or ride alone. For a first outing all thumbs were up, and he is threatening to race again! We just got to get him in the right kit.

Kits:
Speaking of which, sounds like Ghost Rider is almost ready to get something posted for voting. If we are not careful we will have a full on team running here pretty soon.

Tuesday Ride:
The ride will be on the mellow side as it's race week.

5:45 at Mosquito, exit 54?

Video:
This has made quick rounds and is totally awesome! After watching it way too many times I am stuck with two things:
One: I have to post it here.
Two: I have to learn how to do a back flip off a tree!



Until we ride again;
LOtB

9 comments:

  1. Two!

    I'll make an appearance at the 24 Hour, not sure what time yet. I can lend out the 3 light locomotive kit.

    Please insert the Toni Bou MC Trials video, it's equally amazing.

    BTW - I'm assuming the turtle rescue was a success, he had moved on from my placement spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni Bou is on a motorized vehicle, this is a elitist bike blog.

    Just kidding, I'll get it on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three and four, me and ghost rider will be there tonight. Im with you I want to learn how to backflip off a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For being directly mentioned in the most recent post, In-Law sure is being quiet regarding his racing team and affiliation? What gives? 1 man 8hr or 2 man 24????? Inquiring minds want to know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is still in the works, some last minute registration is going down, if I do the 2 man it will be with Jim Brown. I will know more by tonights ride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just talked with Jim and he said that we are registered, so I will be competing in the 2 man 24!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can offer a HID and MiNewt Dual for the race.
    Working tonight, but here are a few words of encouragement from O'Councilman...

    Into the night they charged
    this merry band of four
    their heads and spirits high
    their pedals to the floor

    One by one they circled
    a course both new and fast
    while some ate and slept
    their foes were easily passed

    As the darkness fell
    and lights shone like stars
    the lonely riders fueled
    on gels, blocks and bars

    Soon the pain cave was calling
    and offered a quiet hand
    "come join me on this night
    there's room for every man"

    But the riders of FT3
    found comfort in this place
    for they'd climbed these hills before
    and you could read it on their face

    And in the end they triumphed
    and stood atop the stage
    as the Weasels griped and grumbled
    and vented all their rage

    Hail our brave soldiers
    a hearty team of men
    and raise a glass in honor
    a new title to defend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG That is an amazing poem. The FT3 crew may well have a poet laureate in our midst. Actually, we may need to formalize a bit, but I will be airing a discussion about the designation of the Councilman as official Poet Laureate at the Knott table tonight. I am in and number 5 on the blog but number 6 is indicating an E-54 pick up on other e-mail strains! Where is NoHandle, we may need some official christening of the team members at the Knott tonight.

    ReplyDelete