Tuesday, April 7, 2009

One I say, All You Need is One!

Ride #47

So I was watching the Tour of Flanders the other day (see previous post) and I was caught off guard to see Fabian Cancellara throw his bike into the crowd. Yes, actually pick the thing up and chuck it at some fans. The entire thing probably only weights like 2lbs, so even with cleats on he got some good distances. No carbon smashing as it came down on a grassy section, but very unlike the normally subtle rider. So what gives? It appears that Mr. Cancellara took a chapter out of Barrett's book of bike repair. Yup, snapped a chain on the Koppenberg! Its so easy, if feels like there is no chain! It got me wondering, why do we bother with all the nonsense on a bike! Gears, levers, pulleys, cogs, cassettes...it really all just leads to broken chains.

Editors Note: If you name is Barrett, EVERTHING leads to a broken chain! What will the bike be tonight?

How do we avoid the snapped chain, the chain suck, the ghost shifting, all that stuff...how do we remember the purity of the sport, the true essence of the bike, the connection to the ground? You go On One! That's right, tonight is the first Tuesday in April thus S2FT3 is in full effect. Ride what you got, but keep it simple, the less to break the better. Unicycle anyone? As we have had high adventure of late and some serious training taking place, I am declaring tonight as a simple outing on simple bikes, to remember why we love to do this! I have a few secret trails that I have been keeping up my sleeve and feel tonight might be the night for a little newness! So come One as long as you are on One.

Mosquito at 5:45...Exit 54?

I again will have little bit of secret training going on, so I will meet you guys up there.

ONE, no really One, as in I'm in!

Ghost Rider has promised some pictures, I had to get this post up early, so pics will come in the ride report! Apparently they are not for the faint of heart!

Until we ride again,
LOtB

9 comments:

  1. I am out for tonight. The kids are out of town so I will be home tending to the DTI. I will be out at PC tommorow ready for the throw down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All on One and One for All!! TWO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah, and bring a slicker. 70% chance of showers at the lake...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in too, with the help of Seargent No Handle, I am trying to put together a last minute freehub fix on the one speed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im out for tonight have to go to class, will be going to PC tomorrow though

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seargent No Handle gets the rock solid shout out for putting work aside to take care of a brotha's ghetto single speed ...just in time for another epic roll out!! Nice work No Handle!!! Keeping it real!! Tonight will be EPPPIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiic duuuude!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cap'n is all read to rock, he even got some new grease and a free hub upgrade. Two free hubs replaced in less than a week, what are the odds. And, it just started raining. Yea, FT3 here we come, bring it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Has anyone noticed that B's little picture here looks like he just stepped out of an ashram high up in the Himalayas, ready for prayer and fasting.

    ReplyDelete