Sunday, April 19, 2009

Weekend Update

It appears everyone was out enjoying this absolutely perfect weekend. Doesn't appear everyone was out on bikes, but it sure seemed like a lot of folks were out and about. Rumor has it we may push a record tomorrow with highs approaching 90 and then plummet back down for some rain next Saturday. As for the Barnes family, well we got some our garden in this weekend and the kids got a new mega supreme sandbox! I think I equaled shoveling hours to pedaling, so it goes. I hope you all enjoyed the hot weather and didn't get burned!

Ride Reports:
Super Secret Mt. Bike Ride: Jerry and Ian fired off at 6:30 on Saturday morning for a dirt outing. It sounds like the hit both Cronan and the Olmstead area, hitting Cronan twice. The return trip set them into a couple of horse groups. I will refrain from too much horse bashing here, but I really hate horses...Tires stayed down all trip for both riders and after 3+ hours they were good to go and returned home. Did I mention that horses are dumb! I caught Jerry while watching a little league game, seemed like some good DTI work taking place there. I also saw Ian shuttling one of his little ones around today, also quality DTI effort. Looks like the early departure worked well for them. Maybe we are approaching the next time change for weekend AM ride departures? Sorry Rick, I know early mornings don't bode well for the fun factor equation.

Standard Sunday Roll: Curtis, Rick and I rolled out of Starbucks @ 7:30 as usual for a Sunday Classics. I forgot to put the bottles in the cages, so a mandatory warm-up up Big Cut was put in place. We then headed east doing a fairly standard Starks Grade loop. Just before the big switch back on Starks, Curtis caught fire. It took everything I had to hold his wheel as the big man started make up for lost time, I guess the berries are feeling better! I eventually got around him but just to slow the pace, he was a man possessed today. He easily took the lead to the bus station where Rick and I were left to wonder how he stayed so fit off the bike! Once we got into Pollock proper, Curtis got on 50, by bike, to join a Folsom Lake College group that was being supported by Bicycle Planet. No word by press time, so I am assuming everything went well. Rick and I continued back to town and rolled into Chez Rock God for Lattes and Roubiax. Even though I knew who won and who crashed it was an awesome race to watch. We should try and make this into a bigger event. Watching riders wilt under the pressure of cobbles and attacks is pretty amazing. The strong men had to earn that title and strong they are indeed.

Sea Otter? I know Councilman was racing...no word yet? Young Bolster was throwing down as well.

Injured Reserve: What's the status?

Upcoming Rides:
Tuesday: Should be nice, if not dusty for this weeks outing. I am going out on a limb and guaranteeing no snow!
Wednesday: PCRS #4 I think I can watch kids for this one (Sorry Jerry I just got your message over the weekend).
Friday: Not so secret Night Training Outing. The 2nd Annual Who Brought the Cooler Night Ride. The 24 hour race is one week out and we are hitting the course for some night time recon. We reconed the Coloma Club last year as well.
Saturday: ??????
Sunday: Long Ride on Skinny Tires. 6:30 Departure?

Until we ride again,
LOtB

9 comments:

  1. I'm back. See you Tuesday and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any good travel info to post?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can't stand the sound of my own voice.
    I'll save the details for FT3, but not much fun to report. One lost bag story on the local flight to Scotland which contained a nice bottle of Scotch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the lost Scotch, NoTaco. If you didn't get it back, I'm sure some baggage handler got good and pissed...Right, then! As for the SOC, it can be summed up as such: An abundance of drinking, a modest amount of riding, and a nominal portion of sleep. The pre-race routine went out the window by 10:30 am on Friday. One can question the logic in stuffing 5 guys into a mini-van with 2 coolers on a warm day. Once we got to Laguna Seca, the event was in full effect! After the usual registration and swag grab, we headed for the Luna tent. They may produce dainty bars for the skirt set, but those chicks put on a fully catered spread on Friday afternoon. Fajita's, quesadillas, 2 kegs of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and much more. Gary Fisher dropped in and knocked back a few with us. Cool guy, strange attire. I will skip the remaining debauchery, but our 7:30 am start time on Sat was rough. I opted to try the Denny's grand slam as my pre-race nosh. Not good. Came back to haunt me in the first hour. Following an aerial assualt in the sand and a mechanical, I started to recover. Stayed mid-pack through the first half, made some gains on the back, and then lost a chain 200 yards from the finish. Finished in the bottom half, a little bloody, but my noggin intact. My chauffer went big on Friday night, slept 4 hours, and finished 15th. Perhaps I need to HTFU and follow his regimen...So what do you do when your event ends by 10am? We assumed our rightful place under the Fox tent (friend is a product mgr) and enjoyed BBQ, more beverages, spectating and on into the night. Should detox enough to make FT3, though I now work down the hill on Tuesdays ;(

    ReplyDelete
  5. My arm is almost back to normal. Did a couple dirt rides this weekend. Felt sore the first bit on saturday but I H.T.F.U. and continued to ride. Feels much better now. I'll be there for tacos on tueday and I will for sure roll out for the sunday road ride.

    Nice job councilman at SOC!

    Witnessed a couple guys from FT3 on a lunch secret training mission today, way to H.T.F.U. in the warm weather guys!

    Oh and a possibility for sundays post ride. Anyone up for a viewing of the 24Hr Solo movie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. An unusually active monday on the FT3 page! Nice work blog watchers. Glad to hear Curtis is still on form and somehow I am not surprised. I did lose the route somewhere between Mosquito, Hwy 50 and Pollock Pines.
    Lars, I am surprised you went there with the horses, knowing this blog may be read by more of a contingent than the FT3 watchers; I would suggest that, personal opinions about horse riders aside, that we recognize that horse riders are other trail users who (in some cases) have demonstrated they have the collective political and economic resources to limit and or prohibit mountain bike riding in certain areas. That said, when faced with the disgust of horse shit on my leg as I was last Saturday, I try to get over it, smile casually, say hi and go on with my ride.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No animal that big should spook that easily. They freak me out what can I say. Politics and money aside, I am just not a horse guy and I will scream it to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flanders and Roubaix are the best!

    Early starts are fine as long as it's not 30 degrees; with warm weather the early departures are best.

    Resolution - no more complaints about getting old - I'll HTFU.

    ReplyDelete