Monday, June 22, 2009

Tuesday and Race Report

A little delirious with fatigue, but I am going to give this a shot...

First things first, its Tuesday and ride #58 is going off! Summer outings are getting a bit thin, we will see how tonight's rollout fares.

Mosquito at 5:45...Exit 54?

Race Report:

The day started on an upbeat for waking up at 3:00 am. The skies were clear and it was looking up. There was however a nasty breeze in the air. April and I got out to the race course and got breakfast rolling off at about 4:00, good timing. Got it to transition at 5:00 for bodymarking and the last minute check on my transition gear and bike. All looked good expect for the weather. Clouds were rolling in fast and the breeze turned to a good strong wind. At 7:00 for the start of the race, temps were in the upper 40's, wind was strong, but the rain was holding off. At 7:00 the gun went off and 2200 of us piled into lake Coeur d'Alene for a long swim. I rounded the the first lap in 33 minutes and was hopeful for a swim of just over an hour. The wind made swimming a bit difficult and I ended leg one in 1:10:00 a little long for the swim and bit more energy spent, but I happily took off for the bike. By this point the wind was strong and steady. In Ironman there is no drafting so wind be damned, we all had to deal with it. The bike leg was strong! The lap was broken into two very separate segments. The first was fast and flat, about 30 miles, and then there was a very hilly section of about 26 miles. I ended up passing over 200 people on the bike, moving into about 250th overall. About 10 miles into the second lap, I got passed by a bunch of riders, they were not in a pace line but there was clearly some serious drafting going on. It was very frustrating to be past but a group not really caring about the rules, oh well soldier on. I finished the bike leg in 5:34:00 maintaining an avg speed just above 20mph. I was very pleased with the bike and headed off for the marathon. I exited the transition area with about 3hrs and 10min to go to meet my goal of 10hrs and possibly a Kona slot. A 3:10 marathon is pretty fast and I saw my 10 hr goal going away pretty quickly. I was still feeling good and so I settled into a good pace and went for it. Mid way through the second lap the rain started and I was really looking forward to the end. I crossed the line with a 3:54 marathon and a 10:47 overall. Not too bad for a weekend warrior. There may not be a trip to Kona this year, but I am very pleased with my result!

Keeping FT3 Proud:
So I had just past mile 25 of the marathon and was heading toward home. I knew Kona was out, but I was very happy with my time and knew I would easily break the 11hr barrier. Just at this time, I came by a house party with folks having a lot more fun than I was. Well to make a long story short, there as a female party goer standing close to the curb with a beer in hand. So I motioned toward the beer and she obliged, giving me the final energy needed to get to the finish line. The rest of the folks at the party put up a cheer like I had won the race and took some quick photos and I was on my way FT3 style.

Quick Stats:
Finishing time 10:47:16
Swim 1:10:09
Bike 5:34:32
Run 3:54:43
Overall 257
Age Group 53/238

Slowest M30-34 Kona qualifier 9:34:24 (Apparently the field was fast this year, I clearly wasn't gonna make it this year)

Until we ride again,
LOtB

5 comments:

  1. Spot on LOtB! Strong finish, especially with the beer chug.

    I am hoping to make it tonight, work is having me run all over but at least it is work. I have to take advantage of it when it is there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done LOtB! I will never complain about my lunchtime 5 mile run again. Hell, I just might start bringing a "beverage" along for motivation.

    In for tonight! If there are any last min takers, give me a call later. 916.439.3709

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed Lars, you are the man. Now I just need you to fire off an Xterra with me. You don't have anything going on at the end of August right??

    I'm on the tail end of a sore throat since last thurdsday but in typical FT3 fashion, I will HTFU and see the Councilman at Mosquito at 5:45. B where are you?

    TWO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lars, very impressive! Way to throw down in FT3 style no less. Can't wait to hear more of the war stories. I'm out for the bike part - sorry. There is a chance I can roll for the after party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Calling in from Anaconda, Montana; first WiFi access in a week.

    First off - Great race Lars those are awesome times for each leg, each respectable as single efforts. What the heck are those other 30+ guys doing, not working or taking some good juice...

    The vacation training plan started off with a stellar 3 hour MTB loop at Dad's house, 2 hours of climbling and a double flat on the well earned Fred's Creek decent. Only one tube, so a lame attempt at a run transtion for the final two miles put me late for dinner - still a great he-man outing. :-)

    A couple of days of driving across Nevada and Idaho put us in Jackson, Wyoming - that's the spot! Two new 2Bliss tires and directions to some great high altitude single track. Luckily I picked the slimy, rocky, root infested trail for the loop out, it started raining, no - make that full on thunder storming on the return loop - whoa, this CA Kid never experianced such a rapid change in weather, the FT3 winter training made the return journey a snap. The compacted south facing slope return loop was a blast. Dogged the lightning strikes and made it back un-scathed. Water logged and a full mud layer, looked just like my FT3 photo. Did not want to leave Jackson, but Yellow Stone was calling.

    More driving and the 50 cent YStone tour - wow! the lower falls are amazing. To crazy to ride in the park, too many lookie loo tourists. Did a meager attempt at a run, jumping over downed logs thinking of cross season.

    The heavy base miles, lose 5lbs plan is going backward with the tourist activity, need to change gears. Looks like some good roads and the weather has turned (it was 27 in YStone yesterday AM) so I'll get out soon.

    This RV traveling has it's good and bad points, the driving part is fine, it's the POS RV quality that's driving me nuts.

    Out for now, hogging plenty of blog space.

    Keep the rubber side down boys.

    ReplyDelete