Monday, August 3, 2009

Biking meets Tech Geek!

Cap'n and I joined a rival team member from across the great divide over the weekend for an epic ride out Forest Hill way. We were sent off by the self appointed mayor of Forest Hill who had a great cure for the economic downturn that was sure to leave everyone hungry and feeling good, although I doubt productivity would increase much. From the mayors send off we dropped down Mosquito Ridge and then proceeded to climb mosquito ridge for a long, long time. Often getting views from the ridge line we could see the progress we were making and the deeper we were getting into true hillbilly territory, at one point I am certain I heard someone squealing like a pig over yonder ridge! Near the top of Mosquito Ridge we skirted across Forest Service Road ??? of a five mile dirt road with some more climbing and cows. This road dumped us into Robinson Flat campground for the descent back to Forest Hill. Descent is the right term as it was mostly down hill. There were a few more climbs sprinkled in there that took a toll on the legs. We had a good three man pace line for the last 20 miles or so, flying along keeping avg near 30mph. With all the juice I had left, or maybe because I am on the juice....your call, I launched two attacks at the end trying to get away. No luck, we finished mostly together. What a great ride, hope you like the pics! The video is lame but I now know how to do it so we are all go for future clips of FT3 outings.

Tuesday call out:
0809S2FT3
Founding member OG aka Utah Boy aka Taco Spawn is in town. Should be a good ride, hopefully hitting some new trails. There is a loop atop Barnes Back that has elude us for some time that maybe is time to hit. Many of you have been busy with summer business as of late and some are still busy. We will keep the flame burning bright as FT3 rolls on. Capn and I did learn over the weekend that the curiously absent team from the 24 hour race this year has been scared out of the geared category and is revamping to take a run at the SS division. I say bring it on, gears, single cog, or unicycle...the 50 corridor team has nothing to fear!

Team PBR Update:
The season ended with improved play but no run at the pennant. However, in the greatest moments of need, FT3 rallied for the team providing three players over a few different games. Ghost, B, and Rock God all showed true FT3 by HTFUing and partaking in some true American Past time! As Cap'n stated, "I have never been more proud of FT3 than seeing those guys man up for some high stakes slow pitch softball!"

Fixie Riding:
There was an article in the Mt. Dem about three renegade fixie rides tearing up P'ville until the ridiculously wee hours of Saturday morning. Any of you guys part of this? I believe there might be some photos, maybe of some sweet fixie slides on the new trail section...

Mosquito @ 5:45...Exit 54??
Upcoming Rides:
NoHandle Moving party Sat all day ish
Pony Express Ride Sunday early am departure...takers?
Tour de Steeps??? Still on the drawing board.
Got some running events coming up, but I will not clog the blog with silly running stuff.

Mosquito Ridge Ride from Matthew Barnes on Vimeo.


Until we ride again,
LOtB

5 comments:

  1. Coming off the couch and there's ....?? cows???!! Great ride Mattman, thanks to you and Brian for helping me knock the dust off. I am out tonight as I will be doing my community volunteer duties by participating in a bike rodeo for the kiddies as part of National Night Out 'Pville. I may try to join for a short ride/swim/taco part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ditched the Euro car but could not shake the Euro shades!

    http://www.kcra.com/health/20270459/detail.html

    Bees are out in force.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't make it for the ride I have two large job estimates to finish. I will try to make it for tacos. Have fun guys! Anyone wanna borrow the raliegh for tonights ride?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will not be making it this time myself. I have my lady friend out this week, she lives out in the IL so she would not be happy if I ride since she is only here for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo FT3 Crew!

    It looks like I just missed you on your Mosquito/Robinson Flat ride. We rode through there on Day 1 (Saturday) of our 4 day 'Core Ride' epic. Did you encounter the left over folks from the Tevis Cup Horse Race? I made it through all 4 days with bike and body in tact, just minor scrapes on each; also, back in my old form on trail blazing and navigation, making it in each day at or near the front. A spectacular ride, I'll give a full report out with map next FT3.

    I'm out on the trail again Saturday (Sorry No Handle, it's an official event), I'm staying in Tahoe and could meet up for the Pony Express ride, please post logistics.

    Time to get out of vacation eating mode and start thinking about slimming down and training up for cross season; I guess I'm always saying that...

    ReplyDelete