Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Phantom Ride Report

In all honesty, I have to admit that I am actually sleeping really well. Elliot Yaroslav Lancelot Hincapie (do you consider yourself Latino) Barnes has been a very mellow dude for is first week of life. He is indeed an eating, sleeping, nursing machine with a built in poop pump that appears to be malfunctioning in the "on" position. Furthermore, my morning routine has been pretty pleasant as well. I am getting up pretty early, getting the coffee going, lots of coffee, and a little more coffee please, packing Jackson's lunch, getting breakfast going for everyone and drinking a little more coffee. All of this done to the soothing sounds of NPR keeping me abreast of the world that I could probably easily forget was spinning a whirling dervish outside the front door.

A moment for a digression: the above is all true fact aside from the news on the NPR this morning. I was saddened to hear of the passing of Sen. Ted Kennedy. This is no way is a political posting on a sometimes political blog. However in our discussions of men and general manhood Teddy Kennedy was a noble man and a genuine servant well deserving of a note here in this silly bike blog. It is good to know that regardless of your political persuasion, Teddy Kennedy's life is a reminder that there are those out there always willing to fight the good fight!

Back to my morning routine: I did venture forth this morning into that whirlwind of life outside the portal of our child crazy domicile with a overloaded bag of diapers in hand. My route to the garbage brought the shed into view. It was only for a second, but that second was all it took. There, hanging in the window of the shed was the unmistakable image of a bicycle. In the morning haze, it did not matter, nor was it determinable, which bicycle it was, just that that it was there, hung from a hook, waiting, waiting to ride again. It was at that moment, with a bag of diapers in hand, groggy eyes, and a lingering sense of survival that it occurred to me, I haven't exercised in a long long time.

I made my deposit and returned homeward knowing that my tasks were many and the minutes were few. However, I did return with a pledge to myself. Today, this fine Wednesday, late in August, would be the day I got back on my feet for some exercise. It purifies the sole and clears the mind to tackle the next diaper or challenge that comes my way. And god knows I need some purity and clarity! I may not be able to sneak in a ride anytime soon, but damn me if I can't run around the block with the dog!

For those of you who made the ride last night, know that there are others amongst the sleepy houses you saw returning to town, jealous of that simple pleasure of a bike ride.

As for the real ride report...Mmmmm sounds interesting...maybe we will have to wait a bit for that one. In the end we are lucky to have such a ride, crazy as it may be...

Until we ride,
LOtB

3 comments:

  1. Anyone know who made the rollout yesterday. I got there just before 6:30 to find vehicles but no compadres. I was like Peter PP on the rag after seeing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got in a 22 min run. Its a start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 cm and counting. I'd guess the next 24 hours. Will keep you posted. Where's that ride report? Sounds like something interesting happened in the rarified air of PP on Tuesday...

    ReplyDelete