Friday, October 23, 2009

Intersection of Politics and Roads

I am up early getting ready for another long long long long Friday, got to love the football season. I am enjoying my coffee, one of many cups on the day, and reading news online, its the new way! There seems to be a fair bit of unrest in the world, no surprise there. But the El Dorado, Placer, Nevada County bicycle related civil war seems to still be raging. The Amgen Tour of California route was announced yesterday. While I applaud a route that does venture into the foothills and the finish at Big Bear is a step in the right direction, I am once again amazed to find much of the Sierra and foothills missing and the roads of El Dorado County no where near the course. Most striking is the course for day 1. The route is yet to be revealed, but the outline is Nevada City to Sacramento. Seeing how I doubt they will run 49 to 80 and then into Sac, I am left to wonder what the course will be, a straight shot from NC to Sac is still a good distance, you throw anything special in there, and will easily be above 100 miles. Somehow I doubt a classic run down highway 49 connecting Nevada City to Placerville and then heading to the capital. What a classic and historical ride that would be, truly a "golden" route. Why, oh why, can't we get any bicycling love in this area. Auburn and Nevada City are only twenty miles away but it seems like an eternity at times. With Lance back on board for the ToC it seems like this would be a win win for getting the tour anywhere. Now I know I have done nothing to advocate for this, but that doesn't mean I can't long for a local race, on some of the best cycling roads in the world...Prospector is world class!

Until we ride,
LOtB

4 comments:

  1. Larz,
    Sorry but Nevada City deserves to host the start of the Amgen Tour. Next year will be the 50th year the small city has hosted one of the most prominent American Criterium's. Their support of cycling events is long standing and evident. Sad but true, we here in El Dorado County are not there yet. Only through more growth in FT3 and general bicycling advocacy will we get there. The improvements to the El Dorado Trail are indeed a step in the right direction.

    If they plan it well, the route from Nevada City to Sacramento could be really cool. I know from discussions with Blair-Anthony from the Bee last year that they want a 'flatter' first stage so they will probably head toward Lincoln from Nevada City (the maps shows a route North of I-80). Not that a 49 Golden Chain race route wouldn't be awesome, but like you, I don't see it happening. There are some really cool roads out near Lincoln and I have spent a fair amount of time on them. McCourtney Road is totally awesome. They could throw in a few smaller climbs just north of Auburn that would make for some great viewing. We need to get out there and ride sometime, you would love Gold Hill, Chili Hill, Mt. Vernon, all very epic. I am anxious to see what they come up with, I hope they dont durf it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we need a credit card tourd de Californi FT3 style. That would be f'ing awesome to ride the tour after or before them each day and then kick it in a hotel w/a few cold ones. The cold wet Feb. weather would just be another day in the life for us.
    Sunday cross practice? What is the plan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am out for cross practice and going road this weekend, no cross bike. Next weekend, cross bike or not, I am doing practice though. I think right now it is still time to put in hard miles, around 2 hours. Still two weeks to next race. I was thinking Mosquito/Rock Creek/193 from Pville if there are any takers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A late add.

    No-Handle - We'll give you a bye on your first old guy memory slip since you've been so busy and must have missed the news. The ToC is now in May, no need for the winter gear. And, I do like that idea of following the race, I'd be game for a couple days a least.

    ReplyDelete