Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Elliot’s Fever Classic

After the group had beers to deal with the important and unanticipated recall of our fearless leader (not to mention B’s lack of preparedness), NoHandle was designated ride leader, and Ghost, Cap’n, NoCar, Who’s Tyler, VD and B all took the Hiccup Trail from the Parking lot over to the Horse Compound where B and I introduced all the other riders to a new steep, sweet technical descent. While NoHandle and I were trading turns up front we heard the sounds of an air born rider followed by a loud ‘crack!” that could only be explained by bike hitting rock. Ghost went OTB, this time it was not you Larz. He came out OK, but will probably have a sore hand. Indeed, as B and I warned, this descent is the most technical one the area has to offer. After that we poped out on MI Trail and then rode the classic Fleming loop counter clockwise. Ghost saw a skunk in the trail. At the Fleming parking lot, the chatty group decided to take the road option up to the left lip and there was much discussion about several important topics including calculus and local politics. The left lip was exciting, traction at a premium. Then NoHandle made the call for a classic lake loop. One camper was sighted and we rolled to the Knott. Knott discussion was lively, although there was some mourning about the recall of our leader, and the Taco Bitch was missed. Ghost produced the “Elliot’s Fever” Habi hot sauce which went over quite well. There was discussion about the a potential Veterans Day “super ride” involving an overnighter at Sly Park or more likely the Knott Parking lot. There was also discussion about a September 2010 three day stage MTB race, but it was decided that we should not plan that far ahead and rather should focus on Veteran’s day first. I think there was some new bylaw that was presented, but I don’t recall.


14 comments:

  1. I think we need to re-visit the "New" trail. I'm pretty sure it is the same one we drop from a very near by location, but then based on my leadership skills last night who knows.

    I vote for getting a camp site on the 10th. Then we can close the Knott, and fire up the lanterns and a phat fire and go really deep. The Knott was pretty dead at 11 when we left and I was informed that "It is closing time"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure hope it doesn't rain, I would hate to have to camp out there all my myself with B and Booker.

    I know, that was harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based on VD's map (So cool, I really need to get me one of those Garmin things) I don't know if I agree with the detective work done by Cap'n and B. That trail appears to be the oft used entry to backdoor (or exit, depending on route selection). I think we have attacked that trail a handful of times. I am often passed by Rock God or someone else as I gingerly pick my way down. Sorry to rain on the new trail parade, but you ain't gettin nothing by me, unless it involves a new born with a fever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like I missed a good one, I've been trying to shake off that 'soft' feeling all week. ;-)

    The new steed arrived, most of it anyway - they forgot to pack the seat post; it's now on it's way red label.

    Anyone up for a Sly Park or Granite Bay ride on Saturday? I want to do a test of this thing in the light of day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rock....I am interested in riding on Saturday but cannot be positive if I will make it to the ride. I need to get out to get some shooting in for my upcoming hunting trip but if all the ranges are closed I am ready to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm down for Sat. Keep me posted on time and location. GB is fast and fun right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may also join on Saturday depending on the place and time...and how my weekend plans pan out. An early GB ride would work for me. I'll check back for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too might be down for a Saturday ride, depending on time, as Sunday is looking to be full of family commitments.

    VD, I can't be sure, but I think there has been a few FT3 rides where we came upon 'shooting ranges' that appear to be 'always open.'

    ReplyDelete
  9. y'all crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sunday is almost certainly out for me, Sat is a maybe. Post it by late tonight if one of you is going to make the executive decision and make your own destiny.
    VD, you should carry a side arm on our next ride.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The new steed is now in running order. They messed up, twice more: My '2010' frame is already outdated, and they did not set it up as tubeless. :-0

    How about a Saturday 9:30am meeting at the old Starbucks on Main Street, now Bagel Shop. That would put us on the trail at ~10:45 in Folsom, they ~2 hours of riding, a quick lunch and back by 2:00.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like I will not be making the ride tomorrow. Going down the hill to do some target shooting.

    Cap'n - you do have a good point especially because it is free. I need 300 yards though and dont want to worry about shooting some random bicyclist.

    If anyone is up for a late ride Saturday, I maybe open to that or even a Sunday MTB ride (still no road bike).

    ReplyDelete
  13. FT3 now has a domain registered. FT3bike.com Website is sometime to come in the future.

    ReplyDelete