Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Are you made of sugar?

Dust be gone and hard fast tacky trails reign! Its going to be wet all day and into tonight. Who is the hardest amongst the FT3 clan? Who will show on this night of wind and rain. In a crazy twist of tradition I am going to post last weeks ride report as tonight's call out. Even though last week was S2FT3 this may be another gearless night. The 24hr race sure spooked me about riding the geared bike in the rain.

Mosquito at 5:45...Exit 54?

October's SSFT3 was a nearly standard affair. B, Ghostrider, VD, NoCar, Councilman and Rock God convened at Mosquito road at the usual time. We were met by LOtB in full cross gear, and for a second we thought he might join the festivities. Turns out he was in not-so-secret, post-work training mode for this weekend. Cheers for the proper sendoff, and good luck on Sunday!

The rest of the crew met Xteric at the Knot parking lot and we kicked the event off with a tall PBR. We weren't yet buckled in our shoes before the first of several references to homoeroticism were thrown about. After a long absence, it's nice to see the FT3 vocabulary continues to evolve. In place of the venerable but ususal suspects, Ghostrider stepped up to lead the ride. His route of choice took us further afield than most nights. I think I saw lights from Hwy 50, but I'm told that was just aliens or Rednecks out for hunting practice. Anyhoo, we combined qualifier,
to Park Creek, then the 'Centerline' route that Ghost discovered which proved to be nice CX loop as B can attest. This dropped us onto Hazel Creek and back up to 'Rock Spot' at Park Creek Junction, we back tracked PC and came down the wedding march, over rock garden 1a where Xteric and Councilman both met terra firma - I thought those 29ers helped prevent OTB excursions; hold that order! . Not quite game for an entire lake loop we spiced it up with an Xteric led 1st class single track above North Lake Road and reversed our way home past the main entrance to the lake. VD's stats will bear it out, but it was a solid ride with a handful of stops, no violations, and a fair bit of climbing.

The taco portion was highlighted by Xteric's quick grab of the firepit. Seems the aliens and Frenchies were on hiatus
, and with the Knot tables full up, we opted for outside dining. As more serious discussions of ceagles and mandangles commenced, we noted an odd glow emanating from VD. Seems he fancies a certain local, and having seen her inside the Knot, he was positively giddy. Once the beers arrived, something spectacular, yet entirely suspicious occured. Not 1, not 2, but 3 bottlecaps turned up Aces for young VD. Maybe an inside job, maybe a ploy to win his affections, but VD was on fire. B was wishing he had rode a fixie so he could have back peddled the promise he made VD if he un-capped that 3rd ace; the first time I recall him being lost for words. Subsequent beers rendered no winners, but we were convinced this was the night to hit the Redhawk. A mid taco session fire pit appearence was made by a couple colorful smoky locals; probably to listen in on our first draft bylaws. The tacos were better than average, and the sauce selection was light but consistent. Given the darkness, I can't be sure what combinations were had, but there were no complaints save the need for a bit of Boa Vista to cool things down.

As promised, the Councilman previewed a rough draft of the FT3 charter. Mostly an assemblage of bylaws from existing cycling clubs, with some FT3 specific language, it proved an entertaining addition to the taco portion.
The best laughs were over our brain storm of rider dispute resolution methods; the 'Lady and the Tramp Taco Munch' won the nod, inspired by the tone B set early on. Most agreed there is work to be done, and contributions from all members would result in a better and more accurate document.

Cheers to all in attendance. Until next time.



Until we ride
LOtB

6 comments:

  1. I'm in. One? Two? Forcast Calls for Pain?

    Finishing the race post, I want to give a solid shout out to Rock who is consistent, fast and on a raw foods diet this cross season (are you going to have uncooked tacos?) I didn't forsee the problems that the split groups would create for him. I had some serious lower abdominal soreness after the race, although I believe the core training I have been doing is really helpful in cross (i went into this one sore from a friday workout).

    Also wanted to let you guys know that the FT3 stimulus package 'light' is moving forward. It is 'light' because it won't come close to the eco stim that Rock's new rig will. I ordered a Fort Cross.Max CX racing frame, Chzeck it out at www.fortframes.com. Seems NoCar is poised to purchase the 3-time CX race winning Handmade in USA disc specific cross bike. Good call NoCar.

    I will see those of you who are hard as nails tonight.

    Anyone have a Minute charger I can borrow, or I can roll classic - I know it is late in the game to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am out sold all my ss parts and my ss is in pieces. Not willing to run geared full suspension in rain with race coming up in two weeks. By the way I placed fourth in the Pro/Expert 8hours of knickerbocker this last weekend. I was two minute off the podium with seven laps in seven and a half hours. Oh well. I just need to train harder. VD was a hour faster on the fifty at knickerbocker compared to his tahoe sierra fifty time. A decent weekend of racing had by many FT3 riders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not going to make it this ride out. Last week I managed to avoid my realty agent to make the ride,this time I cannot avoid the headache of becoming a home owner. I may join for tacos later on tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three/Four!

    All's well that ends well. Cap'n you rode a stellar race, it just would have been more fun trying to stay up there with you. It's strange working through the pack not knowing where you are in the grand scheme of things. I tried to break away after weaving through the 35+ field, but looked back and my nemesis was right behind as part of a six man train. We regrouped and after a couple bobbled turns I lost a spot and his wheel going into the last lap. Honestly, I think I was third strongest at best; I've got some more work to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad to say but I am made of surgar tonight. Sick kids and I am feeling a little less than 100%,plus I don't want to melt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK - I've recalculated the FT3 F2 (Fun Factor) and I'm going to pull a BBP (B Back Pedal) and skip tonight.

    Even with the Fitness on the F2 up, the weather and DTI are out weighing that increase on the numerator.

    Have you guys looked outside and at the cool new radar forecast on the weather channel? This storm is not letting up tonight.

    I would be game for a local taco outing and bike shop meeting, if that is in the cards.

    ReplyDelete