Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Generally Lethargic Outing

Bambi, B, NoCar, NoHandle were the FT3 group looking to ride last night. What started off as a very early gathering turned into a rather lengthy and drawn out ride that only covered a short distance. We properly hydrated in accordance to FT3 rules and regulations surrounding the SSFT3 ride. I, upon the Mt. Tek, felt like a classic route was needed for the night. The group headed off for an outing on the C and B loop. However, shortly up the Qualifier, the Mt. Tek failed for the first time. To my utter amazement I was staring down at a broken chain. After working on the chain for a bit, I am also now afraid I have some odd criminals in the area, they appear to be breaking into the bike barn and over greasing my chain!!!! Hoodlums! In the end we were able to squeeze the chain back together and limp back to the cars where B had an extra chain in his car...of course B has an extra chain in his car, I mean don't we all roll with extra chains in our cars, I even believe that is a by-law. We will get back to the extra chain in a minute. NoHandle seized the opportunity to save the Mt. Tek again and went to work on the repair. In no time flat we had the new chain on and were ready to roll...by wait, why won't that one link roll. Yes, the extra chain. It has been determined that in his spare time, B sits around and creates not only frankenbikes but also frankenchains. This one had what appeared to be a BMX link mid chain! But no worries, because B was also rolling with two sets of pliars in his rig as well. A little tweak hear, wrench there, and general reforming of the derailleur/tensioner, and we were rolling.

It is hear that I must pause and thank both B and NoHandle for getting the Tek rolling again and allowing me to bonk later in the ride! Thanks guys, I would have been SOL without the help.

In the end we headed off for a lake loop and at the last minute put the lady parts in there as well for a ride somewhere between 13-15 miles. We had a bit of GPS confusion on that one. Near the end the three weeks of CX racing and the chaos of Thanksgiving week caught up with me and I was almost walking the bike on the downhill to avoid a major crash...I did the name proud and almost sent both the bike and I into the drink at one point. Bambi noted that this could be remembered as the shortest ride to put me in the hurt locker, but he wasn't that far behind. In general the mood and pace seemed to be suffering from some tryptophan induced coma. Worth noting: Team mascot Booker made the entire ride with us and fared much better than I did.

Taco Report:
The Knot Hole seemed to be enjoying a down night last night. As we entered that was no evidence of tacos or patrons for that matter. However, we were assured that if we were happy to wait we would be treated to made to order tacos that would be superior to any previous spread. I must say, in my caloric time of need, the tacos were pretty damn good last night. I went deep for an LOtB order and did a double 4 order...Fro and his 12 pack and taco to go order were fondly remembered as I wondered how many tacos I needed to get out of the bonk zone. Climbed into bed later than anticipated and suffered from a hot sauce hangover this morning, but still happy to be out pushing pedals.

Upcoming dates and rides:
Sunday, sunday, sunday: NoHandle is throwing down a long ride on Sunday probably leaving mid day. Contact him if interested.
Other weekend rides???? I am around with mom in town, so I have nothing firm.
Dec 20: Sac Race #4 and Barnes Chili Feed.

Lost and Found:
Hey, we used to have some younger riders in the group, who were fairly active in the the blog and have gone missing! I know it is getting cold out there and the young kids may suffer from cold fingers and toes, but hey HTFU guys and get back on those bikes. I guess if you are like buying a house or something, maybe I understand. However, the group is starting to talk about attendance patterns and who is showing up with whom....Hmmmmmm. I will check in the by-laws for grounds for excused absences and let you know your demerit hours later.

Hope all had a wonderful Turkey day and are looking forward to Christmas cheer,

Until we ride,
LOtB (yes I did say One yesterday!)

5 comments:

  1. Just one week amiss and I'm having withdrawls and the body is all out of kilter.

    I'm committing in advance on for next Tuesday and an SSFT3 mount make up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dirt is still the best you can find anywhere on earth. Those who are having difficulty with priorities just know that these days of speed, shadows and wonderment and on fine tacky soil are limited - not to mention B's wit. Rides will soon be cold and wet as. Strength in numbers my brothers and no man is ever left behind on FT3 even on SSFT3FM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weekend Ride Update: I will be meeting at the Bagel Shop in P'Ville at Noon for Sunday service. Green Fro and I are in rain or shine. We are planning for about 4 hrs in the saddle and are open to any loop that works for others to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in for Sunday. I need to boost back up the miles a bit given we have a two week break on racing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for making the call out for a Sunday ride NoHandle, unfortunatley I will need to get my miles in prior to noon. I am planning to head out on the road for two hours or so around 8am if that works for anyone else.

    ReplyDelete