Monday, September 21, 2009

I am only religious on Christmas!

I know a fair number of people that claim to be religious, even very religious, but those same people hardly ever make it to their pre-determined place of worship at the agreed upon time that worship should take place. I have often looked to these folks with a raised eyebrow knowing full well that my worship would never be denied. Well, my brothers and sisters, it is with my head hung low that I too admit that I have been absent, absent I say, can I get an AMEN?,absent from my house of spirits, absent from my seat next to a higher carbon being, absent from sprints and attacks, absent from spandex, absent from GU and cytomax. Our Lady of the Skinny tire has not seen me in too long! On my knees, with arms raised, offering a sacrifice of inner tubes and friction shifters, I found myself back in the pew on Sunday ready to listen to the sermon that was offered.

Brothers Cap'n, Rock God, and Xteric were also present for Sunday's worship. Others may have been ready to attend but due to some rare child illnesses and out of town visitors the CX ride was sacked for a classic Apple Hill loop.

And what did we hear in the Sunday sermon? First we heard that today, friends I say today! TODAY is Cappy's birthday...36!!!! That being made clear on Sunday, I had to drop the hammer and see what he was made of. Apparently he is made of better stuff than I am. After the first climb to Ables, Rock God had to prove he is made of the best stuff of all, and took every climb from there. Cap'n proved he is skilled in both going up and down and took the down hill sprint to Camino. Feeling the need to the the congregation know I was back, I launched a super early break for the Daves Christmas tree sign, and was able to pull off the long attack...figures I win the sprint to the Christmas sign...In all a good day on the bike and fine day back in church.

Our Lady of the Skinny tire meets every Sunday at 7:30ish at the bagel shop and has a Youth Group Meeting of the Fat Tire Extreme Radicals every Tuesday night!

Until we ride,
LOtB

4 comments:

  1. I like the Christmas tree sign/religion nexus. Well done. Thanks for the Birfday call out. Can't wait to race this weekend. Fun times enjoying the Church Choir at the American River Music Festival with a few of the FT3 brothas yesterday. It is always great to share in food and drink and dip in the sacred waters as we did yesterday. Kudos to B and NoCar who rode to and from the Fest, spot on mates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Cap'n, and nice job on Wed. Thanks for the fine posting and proselytizing, Lars. Too much time has passed since I last knelt at the pew. Oh, I have been meditating on the last chapter of the Good Book, Revolutions, but I long for the company of fervent and fellow believers. That said, I am praying and making donations in an effort to attend worship on Tuesday. Pray with me brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXluQI9GQXk

    Some of the winning FT3 spirit I expect to see during this cross season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There really is such a place... I visited and I prayed for the legs of Eddy Merckx and lungs of Lance.

    Our Lady of Ghisallo; Madonna of Ghisallo

    Medieval legend says that Count Ghisallo was travelling near the village of Magréglio when he was attacked by highway bandits. Spotting a image of the Virgin Mary in a roadside shrine, he broke away from his attackers and ran to it. There he took refuge, pled for Our Lady's protection - and was miraculously saved from the robbers.
    As the story spread, the Madonna del Ghisallo became known as patroness of local travellers. In more recent times, cyclists would often stop to rest and pray at the chapel, which is a local landmark, and is at the top of a steep hill. After World War II, Father Ermelindo Vigano, pastor at the shrine, proposed Ghisallo as the site of an Italian shrine for bicyclists, and she was given as patroness of cyclists on 13 October 1949 by Pope Pius XII. The chapel has become equal part religious shrine, part cycling museum, with artifacts and photos from the sport. There is an eternal flame that burns there in memory of the cyclists of are no longer with us, and services each Christmas Eve and the Feast of All Souls commemorate them.

    ReplyDelete