Monday, September 7, 2009

Riding The Wave














Yeah, its dusty!

I had a big weekend. I don't get to brag all that often about results, so forgive me if I get a little excited here. The Run on the Sly is a great annual event in our backyards that I enjoy competing in. I have had some good runs and some fun runs at this event but have never really gave it a go. Nothing like no sleep and a new baby to HTFU and throw down. I arrived at the race tired and having not run over an hour in two plus weeks. However, I am still riding the wave of Iroman fitness and knew that the reserves were there and waiting. The temps were cool but the clear skies were a clear sign that a perfect day was in store. At the gun I was a bit back in the group, not yet believing this to be a full on kind of day. But hey, I paid money to go suffer, I better go suffer. I quickly made it up into the front group and decided to see what it was like to run with this group. Knowing the trails so well paid huge dividends as I knew where I could push and I knew where I needed to back off. The top two runners were clearly in a different league and they took off pretty quick, watching them go was a bit heartbreaking, but I was easily holding pace with places three to ten. Four miles in I was comfy in a small group and things were starting to spread out a bit. From mile six to ten, my group picked up a dropped another runner and three of us were trading off spots six through eight. At mile ten I knew that the big climbs of Fleming lay ahead, I slowed a bit and let the other two runners go. I ran miles ten to about twenty five alone. At twenty five, things started to get exciting again. By backing off, I think I had better legs coming in to the last six miles than some of the others out front. I started to see dust clouds and then other runners. During the last several miles I picked back two more runners and found out that yet another had to abandon at an aid station. I came into the finish 5th overall and 2nd in age group, by far the best overall placing I have ever had in a running event.

I'd love to say that I trained my ass off for this event and this is the product of all my hard work. But in the end, we all know that ain't near the truth. I was absolutely blessed with a year of good health and solid training to get me to a pretty fit state. That wave of fitness rolls on and I am a happy passenger along for the ride. With all of life's little (and 8lb 10oz) curve balls, I am happy to embrace fitness and health when it is present and attainable. Hopefully I can hold on to this for a bit, or at least through cross season. In the end, I feel incredible fortunate to have the ability and comfort to go run, bike or swim.

I am in for this weeks ride. I am still wondering if this is a good decision or not, but I miss you guys and I am bringing another rider!

The best of list is still coming. However, I thought I would name at least one winner this week. Best Pizza definitely goes to the place in Chico that Cap'n visited. A good pizza is one thing that P'ville is indeed lacking.

5:45 at Mosquito...Exit 54?

Two
Until we ride
LOtB

7 comments:

  1. I am out tonight. I have a work meeting tomorrow night, an early game Thursday and am away this weekend for the MS 150. That said, I will stay around this evening to support the DTI. I did the classic cyclocross training ride yesterday with a ride up the trail and back down to schnell for some up-tempo loops. I was first in all categories.

    Speaking of good finishes, Lars - nice work on the Run on the Sly. Especially nice considering the non-training HTFU factors. While I am a bit tired of the running dominating the FT3 blog, this one was a worthy report. Spot on mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice running Lars, you understate your training. You trained your arse off, just not for this event.
    Three!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will bring the conversation back to biking. On Saturday morning Jackson and I were up at Sierra School doing some bike riding. Looks like we could do an equally good CX practice course up there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cap'n, I am using the blog! I have to chuckle at the, despite the best in the world caveat, but I am a growing believer in the 29er as well. On top of that, the single speed thing is by far my better suite. To that end, I will be riding the Tek again tonight and upgrading to a 29er SS as soon as I can appropriate the proper funding to the project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lars I will be happy to try to help you with said acquire of 29er SS. There are a number of affordable options out there, and ABW can get 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My next bike will be a 29r geared hard tail, unless I can get on a FS that really feels nimble. I like the fastest w/least effort comment in the article but I also liked the fun factor and less fatigue comment about FS. What one would enhance taco eating the most?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am home with our newest addition (As Yet Unnamed or NoHandle the 3rd). He arrived at high noon, and mother and baby are both well and currently resting. Will send a picture soon. Nice work on the Sly run, Lars. Also happy to see the 29er movement gaining ground. Big wheels = Big fun. Enjoy the tacos, gents...

    ReplyDelete